Title and statement of responsibility area
Save Our Parkland Association fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on name of creator
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Save Our Parkland Association
Physical description area
- 0.95 m of textual material
- 44 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Save Our Parkland Association was established in 1963 by citizens with a shared concern regarding the disposition of the former Shaughnessy golf course. In 1966 the former Shaughnessy Golf Course became VanDusen Gardens. The goals of the Save Our Parkland Association were to preserve and establish additional park space by lobbying and establishing communication with local government. Education and engagement with the surrounding communities was an additional aim of the Save Our Parkland Association. Save Our Parkland was registered as a non-profit association. This status was dropped in 2006.
This Association meets monthly and lobbies for issues including the University Endowment Lands to become Pacific Spirit Park and the preservation of Burns Bog.
Records were collected and maintained by June Binkert. The records were donated by Wendy Irish Turner who was a member of the Save Our Parkland Association.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials and photographs related to the issues and concerns of the Save Our Parkland Association. Newspaper clippings, notes, pamphlets and brochures are grouped according to topic and are largely environmental and land-use in nature. Such topics include: Hastings Park, Fraser Ports, Greenways Vancouver, Fraser River Estuary, Stanley Park, Burns Bog, Burnaby Lake, UBC, Lions Gate Bridge and the Arbutus rail corridor. Minutes of monthly meetings are in draft and completed form as well as membership and director lists from 1970-2006.
Correspondence to and from the following: Ministry of Small Business, Tourism and Culture, Vancouver International Airport Authority, Ministry of Energy and Mines, Minister of Environment, Minister of Environment Lands and Parks, Minister of Municipal Affairs, City of Burnaby, the Fraser River Port Authority and Lower Mainland residents.
Photographs depicting events such as: Codd Island Regional Park designation, Deering Island Park Official opening, Margarett Piggott Park dedication, Kanaka Creek Park plaque unveiling and the memorial plaque placing for Phill Haddock as well as photos of various members of the association at meetings.
Immediate source of acquisition
Photographs in this fonds have been assigned catalogue numbers in the range CVA 1540-1 to CVA 1540-46. It appears that they were misnumbered and items CVA 1540-20 and CVA 1540-27 never existed.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access restrictions apply to some of the records, please consult the archivist