Bookmark and Share

Gault Brothers

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Gault Brothers

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1853 Andrew F. Gault and J. B. Stevenson founded the wholesale textiles firm Gault, Stevenson and Company in Montreal. Four years later, Stevenson left the firm; thereafter Robert Gault joined his brother to form Gault Brothers Limited. The firm manufactured and distributed textiles. Attracted by the growing market on Canada's West Coast, the firm established a branch in Vancouver in 1899. Henry A. Stone was appointed manager. By 1906, the firm moved to larger premises at 361 Water Street. In 1915, the firm acquired a local work clothing company to ensure a continuous supply of goods for its customers. In 1918, local interests assumed control of the firm. In 1930, the federally chartered firm was succeeded by a B.C. company of the same name. Gault Brothers established a marine subsidiary, Caribou Shipping in 1936. In 1952, the marine service was replaced by an air service. In 1971, the company was sold to New York interests. Gault Brothers was last operating as a division of J.J. Newberry Canada Ltd.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places