Title and statement of responsibility area
Building permit and design architectural drawings
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
ca. 33,000 architectural drawings. - ca. 10,500 microfiches
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Department of Permits and Licenses was established on February 28, 1967 with the amalgamation of a variety of inspection, licensing, and business tax units, to coalesce, within a couple of years, into the following primary divisions: the new office of Director, the head of the expanded Department; the Building Inspection Office (comprised of the former Building Department, including its head, still called the Building Inspector, with the addition of Electrical Inspection, formerly part of the Electrical Department, and two Engineering offices, the Smoke Inspector and the Septic Tank Inspector); and the License and Business Tax Office (a unit moved intact, along with its head, the City License Inspector and Business Tax Collector, from the Finance Department). The authority for the department's regulatory activities derives from the Vancouver Incorporation Act of 1886 (section 120, "Powers of Council to Pass By-laws") and its subsequent amendments and revisions, and is supplemented by the British Columbia Municipal Act which defines municipal standards relating to public safety, public health, and business regulation. The intricacies of almost continual structural fine tunings can best be summarized by brief notes on functions including air pollution monitoring, animal control, building and development permit processing, building inspection, business licensing and taxation, City owned buildings construction and maintenance, electrical inspection, gas inspection, industrial waste inspection, plumbing inspection, and properties inspection. These functions evolved as follows:
(1) Air pollution monitoring. Carried out by the smoke inspectors of the Engineering Department until 1967; part of Permits and Licenses' responsibilities 1967-1971. In 1971 the GVRD took over this function.
(2) Animal control. Operation of the City Pound and issuance of animal licenses was carried out by the License and Business Tax Office of the Finance Department until 1967, then moved to the Permits and Licenses Department.
(3) Building and development permit processing. The building permit process is primarily overseen by plan checkers who work closely with the building trades, while development permits were monitored by the Building Inspector, then by the zoning staff within the Planning Department. However, there has always been a close relationship and overlap between the two functions (zoning was part of Permits and Licenses for a short period, approximately 1967-1969).
(4) Building inspection. City Council first spoke of the need for a Building Inspector in June 1899 (referring the matter to the Board of Works). By-law no. 366 (12 Nov. 1900) first defined building standards and assigned the Building Inspector to examine building plans and issue building permits according to the standards. Building permit records were kept by the Building Inspector from at least January 1901. The earliest building standards adjudication was carried out directly by City Council (which had that authority from the Vancouver Incorporation Act, see Council minutes for procedural details), then by the Building Inspector (an autonomous unit until 1967), then by the Permits and Licenses Department as a division (variously named Building Inspection, Inspection and Enforcement, Permits and Inspection, etc.).
(5) Business licensing and taxation. These functions enforce or enable the License By-law, the Vehicle Licensing By-law, the Vehicle for Hire By-law, the Business Tax By-law, etc. The earliest of many business licensing by-laws passed by City Council related to liquor licenses (no. 5, 1886) and cabs and drays, etc. (no. 8, 1886). Carried out originally by City Council (in conjunction with the City Clerk and City Solicitor) , then by the Fire, Health and License Inspector's Office (by 1891), and eventually by the License and Business Tax Office of the Finance Department until 1967, when it transferred, in tact, to the Permits and Licenses Department. In 1984 the business tax was repealed, but licensing continued.
(6) City owned buildings construction and maintenance. This function relates to the control and coordination of the consultants and contractors hired for these purposes. Carried out by the Building Department until 1967, by the Permits and Licenses Department until 1978 (then by the newly created Civic Buildings Department).
(7) Electrical inspection. Has enforced the Electrical By-law and the Fire By-law (including fire alarms, emergency lighting, etc.). Carried out by a unit of the Electrical Department until taken over by the Permits and Licenses Department in 1967.
(8) Gas inspection. This function relates to the construction of gas lines according to regulations. Carried out by the Building Department until 1967, then by the Permits and Licenses Department.
(9) Industrial waste inspection. Has enforced aspects of the Plumbing By-law, ensuring that industrial waste is safely discharged into the sewer systems.
(10) Plumbing inspection. Carried out by the Building Department until 1967, then by the Permits and Licenses Department.
(11) Properties inspection. Has enforced the Zoning and Development By-law, the Standards of Maintenance By-law, the Untidy Premises By-law, and part of the Sign By-law.
Predecessors of the Permits and Licenses Department are: the Engineering Department, 1886-1967; the Building Inspector's Office (i.e. the Building Department), 1900-1967; the Electrical Department (electrical inspection only), ca. 1920-1967); and the License and Business Tax Office of the Finance Department, ca. 1890-1967.
The Permits and Licenses Department reported to the Board of Administration 1967-1974, and subsequently to the Board's replacement, the Office of the Ciy Manager, 1974-1995. In 1995 the Permits and Licenses Department became a unit of the larger service group, Community Services, so reported to the General Manager of Community Services.
The internal organization of the Permits and Licenses Department has varied considerably, both in terms of the number and types of divisions, and the divisional alignments of some of the branches. The primary functional units which have existed from the early period are: building permits and inspection, and other types of inspection; and business license and business tax administration. In 1980, about 13 years after the two primary functional units become the core of the Permits and Licenses Department, the following internal organization is given in the City's organization chart: the Permits and Inspections Division (including Permits and Plan Checking, Building Inspection, Plumbing Inspection, Electrical Inspection, and Industrial Waste Inspection); the Property Use Division (consisting of Property Use Inspection); the License and Business Tax Division (including License and Business Tax, City Pound, an Vehicles for Hire Inspection); and the Administrative Service Division (including Correspondence, Reception, Data Resource, and Steno Pool).
The name of the Permits and Licenses Department has not changed since 1967.
The following individuals have served as director of the Permits and Licenses Department: H. L. Bryson (1967-1978); Roger Hebert (1979-1992); Jack Perri (1993- ).
For further information on the origins of the functions of the department consult City Council minutes (series 31) and the corresponding early indexes. The City Clerk kept City Council supporting files on all matters before Council; series 20 contains "Building Inspector" files from 1910, and "License Inspector" files from 1891.
Name of creator
The Building Department was the City department responsible for enforcing the City's regulations regarding the construction of buildings in the city. When zoning regulations were passed, beginning in the 1920's, the Building Department became responsible for applying zoning regulations as part of its assessment of permit applications. The Department was founded as a discrete entity in the City administration in 1900; the Department was would up in 1967 by means of its amalgamation with the former Licenses Department to form the Permits and Licenses Department.
The Building Department arose out of City regulations relating to fire prevention in the 1890s. The first mention found of Building Inspectors in City records is the Fire Bylaw of 1892, which mentions appointment of Building Inspectors responsible for inspecting buildings and building sites, solely in regards to fire safety and ensuring safe disposal of felled trees and other plant debris when properties were initially cleared. Plumbing Inspectors--later made part of the Building Department--were first part of the Board of Health and Water Works departments. Building and plumbing inspection services were shuffled within the civic administration a number of times over the 1890s, until the creation of the Building Department in 1900, as authorised by the Building By-law no. 1900/366. In 1914, the Plumbing Department was moved from the Board of Health and amalgamated with the Building Department.
From 1900, the Building Department was made responsible for:
1) receiving applications for permits, including architectural drawings and specifications of proposed work, and collect application fees;
2) examining the same and ensure that the proposed structure is in accordance with the Building By-law;
3) issuing permits for the erection, enlargement or alteration of buildings, if said work is in accordance with the Building By-law;
4) keeping records of permits issued, including information about construction, sanitary appliances, heating and electrical systems, and elevators in permitted structures;
5) informing the City Manager, Superintendent of Water Works, and other interested departments of work permitted;
6) periodically inspecting structures in the course of construction or alteration to ensure compliance with the by-law and permit requirements;
7) notifying the Chief of Police in cases of violations of the by-law;
8) ordering the demolition of non-complying structures at the expense of the owner, contractor or architect, if the structure is deemed by the Inspector to be a hazard top public safety; and
9) safekeeping of drawings and specifications that formed part of a permit application.
In 1919, architect Arthur J. Bird was hired as chief Building Inspector; it may have been at this time that the position of head of the Building Department was renamed to City Architect. Shortly after this, an architectural unit was created in the department, which was made responsible for design of small City buildings, such as the City Morgue, police stations, public facilities, the original Juvenile Court and Juvenile Hall building, and the original buildings at the Vancouver City Airport. In 1933 the Architectural Unit was closed down when Bird was let go, and at that time the title of the head of the department reverted to Chief Building Inspector.
Scope and content
Series consists of files of architectural drawings created by the Building Department and later, the Permits and Licensing Department. The files were created to aggregate architectural drawings of structures on properties in the city. The large majority of the records had been submitted as part of a building permit application, though original design drawings created by Building Department staff between ca. 1920 and 1932 are also included in the files.
The series includes drawings submitted to the Building Inspector's offices of the municipalities of Point Grey and South Vancouver in support of permit applications in those two municipalities. These drawings appear to have been amalgamated into the Vancouver Building Department records and assigned Building Department file numbers some time after amalgamation of the municipalities in 1929.
Researchers should note that the Building Department and Permits and Licensing did not retain drawings of single family houses. As a result, the series contains very few files documenting houses, other than drawings relating to applications for conversion of single family homes into apartments, rooming houses, or for commercial uses.
Immediate source of acquisition
Series transferred to Archives in ca. 1978 (physical drawings sub-series) and 2001 (microfiche sub-series).
Series consists of two sub-series: (1) hardcopy architectural originals and reproductions (ca. 1904 - ca. 1978); and (2) Architectural drawings on microfiche (ca. 1910 - ca. 1998, about 5% of the Licensing, Inspections and Enforcement microfiche holdings selected for reproduction in 2001).
Examination of subseries 1 records revealed that some files previously included were records either donated to the Archives by the Vancouver School Board or transferred to the Archives by the Engineering Department. These records have been moved either to series VSB-S725 or COV-S365 in order to reflect the correct provenance of these records.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some files in this series is restricted while structures are still standing due to FOIPPA legislation. For hardcopy drawings in sub--series 1, researchers should see the individual file-level descriptions for detailed information about access restrictions that might apply to a particular file. Information about access restrictions applicable to the contents of sub-series 2 is available in the description for the sub-series.