Title and statement of responsibility area
Woodward's Department Stores Limited fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Woodward's Stores Limited
Physical description area
- 0.28 m of textual records
- 28 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Woodward's Department Stores was a company controlling a chain of department stores across Western Canada.
Charles Woodward established the first Woodward's store at the corner of Main and Georgia Streets in 1892. In 1902, a new store was built at Hastings and Abbott, which was expanded several times over the next fifty years. In 1926, a store was opened in Edmonton, and by the late 1940s, the company began to open numerous stores in B.C. and Alberta, including: Port Alberni (1948); West Vancouver (1950); New Westminster (1951); Oakridge Mall, Vancouver (1959); Calgary (1960); Mayfair, Victoria (1963); a second store in Edmonton (1965); Prince George (1966); and Surrey (1966).
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records arising from the activities of the Woodward's Department Stores Limited company, especially those of the Downtown Vancouver and Edmonton stores. Fonds includes minutes, financial estimates and statements, articles of association, photographs and other records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records were donated to the Archives in 1972 by the Woodward's Department Store Limited company, through Mr. M. Gandossi, Controller. Additional materials were donated by the Woodward family at an unknown date. Photographs originally on loan from Woodward's Department Store Archives were returned by David Anderson, Burnaby Village Museum in 1995.
Photographs returned by the Burnaby Village Museum in 1995 have been assigned catalogue numbers CVA 809-1 to CVA 809-27 and 193-E-5 file 2.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A file list is available
See also the Woodward family fonds (Add. MSS. 222).
Parts of Add. MSS. 564 have been amalgamated with Add. MSS. 220; citations for these records should therefore refer only to Add. MSS. 220.