Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Western Art Circle
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Western Art Circle was formed by a group of local painters in 1951. The first formal meeting was held in January 1952 with M. Denton Burgess as first president, C.C. Wimperley as Vice-president, Kay Wells as Secretary-treasurer. Other core members were Gordon “Kit” Thorne, Cecil and Almer Pratt, Alan Edwards, John Poole West, George Southwell, Harry Hunt, Alice King, Mel Perry and R.W. Gleed. In 1952, over 100 members, from BC and other countries, were registered.
The main objective of the association was to provide fellowship, a place to learn from each other and an exhibition outlet for painters. With the help from J.A. Morris, curator of the Vancouver Art Gallery, members of the Western Art Circle held their annual exhibition at the Art Gallery from 1952 to 1954.
From 1952 to 2011, the Western Art Circle organized displays, exhibitions and outdoor sales in various places in the Lower Mainland, including York Theatre, B.C. Electric Building, Stanley Park, the University Women’s Club, PNE Home Show, and various community centres. Besides organizing displays and exhibitions, the Western Art Circle also held workshops for its members to promoted high standard of work.
As most of the members aged out, the Western Art Circle was dissolved in December 2012.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created 2019-09-10, CY