Bookmark and Share

Series S371 - Water supply drawings

Design of cast steel short necked nozzles Plan of proposed Seymour Creek pipeline extension Plan of Seymour Creek pipe line right of way Plan of Seymour Creek Road Plan of Seymour Creek pipeline right of way Plan of Seymour Creek proposed pipeline Profile of upper part of Seymour Creek pipeline Profile of Seymour pipeline Profile of Seymour Creek pipeline Profile of Seymour Creek Road Profile of submerged pipeline across Second Narrows of Burrard Inlet Profile of submerged pipeline across Second Narrows of Burrard Inlet Profile of Seymour Creek pipeline extension Profile of old Capilano pipeline Profile of Capilano pipeline from First Narrows to new intake Profile of Seymour Creek water main through Hastings Profile of Westminster Avenue from Vancouver City to Richmond Profile of Victoria Road from Vancouver City to Richmond Municipality Profile from Barnet Road [North Burnaby] to Little Mountain reservoir Plan showing auxiliary water supply line to Granville Island via Granville Street Bridge right of... Sketch plan shewing proposed tunnel Capilano and Seymour water sheds Plan of location of Capilano Road North half of Capilano Road South half of Capilano Road Plan of Greater Vancouver. British Columbia The City of Vancouver, B.C. Plan of pipe lines from intake to tunnel Capilano and Seymour water sheds Plan shewing the sources of water supply for Greater Vancouver and sketch of the existing water s... Plan showing relative position of different water districts General plan of proposed extension & improvements Plan of land which will be flooded at reservoir site above water fall. Seymour Creek Plan of location of Capilano Road Plan of location of Capilano Road Plan of Seymour Creek pipe line between present intake & temporary intake Final location of pipe line through [District] Lot 791 Tidal flats at mouth of Seymour Creek Cadastral map of upper Seymour Creek Plan shewing pipe line right of way through parts of [District] Lots 673, 792, 1248 & 8740 North Lonsdale reservoir Traverse of Capilano Road & pipe line through [District] Lot 594 NWD [New Westminster District] Traverse of pipe line through [District] Lot 764. Made in 1890 Plan shewing pipe line right of way through Lots 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19 D.L. [District Lot] 673 ... Map of area east of Eagle Harbour, West Vancouver Plan of [District] Lot 792, NW [New Westminster] District B.C. Survey of pipe line road. Made in 1890 Sketch plan shewing diversion of Capilano Creek Plan of pipe line right of way through D.L. [District Lot] 1242 Gpl. NWD [New Westminster Distric... Little Mountain reservoir. Proposed submerged fountain to be placed in centre of reservoir
Results 1 to 50 of 99 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Water supply drawings

General material designation

  • Architectural drawing
  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

COV-S371

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Scales vary.

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1944, predominant 1906-1924 (Creation)
    Creator
    Vancouver (B.C.). Water Works Department
  • 1888-1944 (Creation)
    Creator
    Vancouver (B.C.). Engineering Services
  • 1888-1944 (Creation)
    Creator
    Vancouver Waterworks Company

Physical description area

Physical description

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1892-1936)

Administrative history

The Water Works Department was established in 1892 when the City took over control of the water system from the Vancouver Waterworks Company. The function of the department was to carry out the planning, construction, maintenance and repair of the water system in the City. In 1912, with Bylaw #920, the City Engineer became formally responsible for the department. The Water Works Department was dissolved in 1936 when it was amalgamated with the Engineering Department.

Name of creator

(1886-)

Administrative history

Since its foundation, Engineering Services (or, as it was referred to until 1995, the Engineering Department) has been the largest department in the City administration, providing many of the City's mandated functions for developing and maintaining the City's infrastructure of roads and bridges, waterworks, sewers and sanitation.

The Vancouver Incorporation Act required the appointment of an engineer, and the City did so under Bylaw #1 (1886). Despite technological changes, the department has remained remarkably consistent in functional responsibilities: over the years, the Engineering Department/Engineering Services has been responsible for the construction and maintenance of streets, lanes, sewers, water works, and bridges, as well as for traffic management, sanitation, garbage collection, and parking. With the rapid growth of the city, the Department’s role changed from a supervisory role (overseeing and inspecting the work of contractors) to having full-scale operations divisions.

The City Engineer first reported to the Board of Works (1886-1956), then to the Board of Administration (1956-1974), and subsequently to the City Manager (1974-).

There were a few instances of major reorganization in the history of the Engineering Department. Following a departmental review by external consultants in 1954, the department underwent a major restructuring of its organizational framework. Formerly, divisions had been based on the type of operation each performed. The review called for three basic divisions. One major division was for administration and design and the other for operations. Each of these divisions would oversee the different functions as they related to design or operation. A third division for traffic management continued to exist in the same fashion as before the rearrangement. This structure remained in place for only a few years.
Another major reorganization occurred in 1966 when the Electrical Department was incorporated as a division within the Engineering Department (impetus for this change came from the formation of the Permits and Licenses Department which took over inspection activities while Engineering took over engineering and works aspects.)

The following individuals have served as City Engineer (from 1995, the City Engineer was also referred to as “General Manager” of the then renamed Engineering Services):
• John P. Lawson, 1886-1890;
• Henry B. Warren, 1890-1891;
• Thomas H. Tracy, 1891-1905;
• William A. Clement, 1905-1911;
• Frederick L. Fellowes, 1911-1924;
• Charles Brakenridge, 1924-1946;
• Charles A. Battershill, 1946-1949;
• John C. Oliver, 1949-1956;
• Randolph M. Martin, 1956-1971;
• Gordon H. Lawson, 1971-1974;
• William H. Curtis, 1974-1991;
• David Rudberg, 1991-[2004]
• Tom Timm, [2004] – 2010
• Peter Judd 2010 –

Functions, occupations and activities:

The broad range of functions of the Department has included:
1. Streets and bridges design and maintenance, including snow/ice removal and sanding;
2. Sewerage and drainage planning and maintenance,
3. Water supply and distribution,
4. Refuse collection and disposal,
5. Transportation planning and traffic management, including accommodating for special events,
6. Street lighting and utilities,
7. Inspection responsibilities (until the creation of the Permits and Licenses Department),
8. City planning responsibilities (under the direction of the Town Planning Commission) until the creation of the Planning Department in 1954,
9. Street Decoration (in conjunction with the Street Decoration Committee) since 1954.

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Vancouver Waterworks Company was formed in 1886 by G.A. Keefer and a group of Victoria businessmen to supply Vancouver with water from the Capilano River by means of a pipe laid under the First Narrows. The engineering works were finished and the water first flowed in 1889. In 1891 the rate payers of Vancouver voted to acquire the Company.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of maps, plans and profiles of the Vancouver water supply system and the area which supplies the system. Included are detailed technical drawings of pipes, joints and the mechanical systems. There are also a number of maps of the North Vancouver creeks which supply the water system. A third group are linen drawings of tenders, submitted for pipes and other materials in the system. Lastly, there are engineering profiles of the creeks involved in the system.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres