Title and statement of responsibility area
Vancouver Woman's Musical Club fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1905-1980; (predominant 1905 - 1977) (Creation)
- Vancouver Women's Musical Club
Physical description area
- 1 m of textual records
- ca. 500 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Established in 1905, by Jean Coulthard and Esther Beecher Weld, the Vancouver Women's Musical Club furthered music appreciation and education in Vancouver in the early years of this century. The Club also undertook the role of impresario by engaging international performing artists, such as Paderewsky, Marie Hall, Herbert Witherspoon, Bessie Abbott (1908) and the New York Symphony Orchestra (1910). After 1912 the concerts arranged by the Club were essentially for club members only. Post-1912 performances featured local, national, and international artists: mostly musicians, but also performers in other areas such as dance, mime etc. The Vancouver Woman's Musical Club was involved in many philanthropic activities and has been responsible for helping young musicians since its inception.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, reports, financial statements, correspondence, newsletters, programmes, scrapbooks of clippings and photographs from the periods 1905 to 1980.
Immediate source of acquisition
- Due to the lack of order, certain files (554-E-3 files 12-14, 554-E-4 files 1-20) from the second accrual have been rearranged by the archivist into classes resembling those of the first accrual. The remaining files of this accrual (554-E-3 files 1-11) are in their original order.
- Includes records from separate accruals formerly identified and described as AM397 and AM1037. These descriptions have been amalgameted into a single fonds; citations for these records should use only AM397.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series list available.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Vancouver Women's Musical Club (Creator)