Title and statement of responsibility area
Vancouver Maritime Museum collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the name of the collector.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1768, copied [19--] - 1987; predominant 1888-1980 (Creation)
- Vancouver Maritime Museum
Physical description area
- 28.2 m of textual records
- ca. 820 architectural and technical drawings
- ca. 30 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Vancouver Maritime Museum is responsible for collecting, documenting, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting the maritime history of the Lower Mainland region of British Columbia. The Museum was constructed in 1958 as a project for British Columbia's centennial year, opening in 1960. In 1959 the City of Vancouver created a Civic Museum Board to administer the Maritime Museum. The Board was later also given responsibility for the Vancouver Museum and Planetarium; however, in 1972 responsibility for these institutions was transferred to the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association (previously the Vancouver Art, Historical and Scientific Association). In 1988 the Maritime Museum was separated from the Association and has since functioned independently.
The material was in the custody of the Vancouver Maritime Museum before it was transferred to the Archives at intervals from 1964 to 1991.
Scope and content
The collection contains records pertaining to a wide variety of maritime subjects and includes log books and ships' plans, records pertaining to ships' crews, records pertaining to the Royal Commission on Pilotage held in the 1960s, drawings of harbours, records of the North Vancouver Ferry Company and records of the Point Atkinson Lightstation. The collection also includes records of the Board of Directors of the Maritime Museum from 1974 to 1987.
Immediate source of acquisition
- File arranged into the following 13 series by the archivist: Agreement or articles and account of crew forms; Board of Directors records; Captain Samuel Robinson records; H.A. Renwick records pertaining to the Royal Commission on Pilotage; Harbours; log books, notebooks and similar records; M.V. Pentowna Plans; miscellaneous records; Point Atkinson Lightstation papers; records of the North Vancouver Ferry Company; Requisition records; Ships' plans collection; and St. Roch restoration drawings.
- Includes records from separate accruals formerly identified and described as AM335, AM827, AM852, AM1041, AM1042 and AM1102. These descriptions have been amalgameted into a single fonds; citations for these records should use only AM335.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some files restricted. Please consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series, file and some item descriptions and listings available.