Bookmark and Share

Union Steamship Company of British Columbia

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Union Steamship Company of British Columbia

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Union Steamship Company of British Columbia was organized in Vancouver in 1889 by Captain W. Webster and John Darling, a former director and General Superintendent of the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand. In 1911, control of the company passed to J.H. Welsford and Company of Liverpool, England, and control remained in English hands until 1937, when Vancouver capitalists purchased all shares. The company acquired the Frank Waterhouse Company of Canada in 1939 as a wholly owned subsidiary. The company also owned the Sannie and Howe Sound Ferry Company Limited as well as resort property on Bowen Island, the Sechelt Peninsula and at Whyte Cliff. Although all vessels were sold to Northland Navigation in 1959, the company remained in the land business.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places