Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Properties Division
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In the early years the management of City-owned properties was the responsibility of the Office of the Assessment Commissioner. By 1912 the Land Purchasing and Claims Department was established to take over the function. The names for this unit fluctuated, e.g. by 1932 it was the Land Sales Department and by 1936 the Lands and Rentals Department. By the late 1940s the functions included land sales, rentals, building repairs, land subdivisions, and insurance; by the 1948 expansion additional responsibilities were land purchasing, industrial development, lot clearing (transferred from City Engineer), and wartime housing (159-E-6 reel 1 file 1). On July 27, 1957 City Council passed the recommendation of the newly formed Board of Administration (1956) that the following units would become part of a new Finance Department headed by the City Comptroller: City Comptroller's Office, Accounting, Addressograph and Multilith, Assessment, Internal Audit, License and Business Tax, Motor Vehicle Inspection, Personnel and Payroll, Property and Insurance [referred to as the Properties Division], Purchasing and Supply, Revenue Collection, Tabulating, and Treasurer. In 1978 the Properties Division became part of the Civic Buildings Department, which was reconfigured as the Housing and Properties Department in 1989. With the major City reorganization of 1995, the Housing and Properties Department became Real Estate Services, under the broad financial unit called Corporate Services.
Scope and content
Series consists of photographs of houses in the Strathcona area.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from Properties Division November 1977.
Photographic images in this series have been assigned catalogue numbers in the range CVA 170-1 to CVA 170-27.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level listing available in reading room.