Bookmark and Share

St. James' Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St. James' Church (Vancouver, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

St. James' Church (Anglican) was the first permanent church established in what is now Vancouver.
It was originally built in May of 1881, west of Westminster Avenue (now Main Street) and north of Alexander Street. This building was destroyed in the fire of 1886, and a new church was constructed at Gore Avenue and Oppenheimer Street (now Cordova Street). St. Agatha's Chapel was added to the structure in 1887, and the church was further enlarged in 1900. This second church building was torn down in 1935 and was replaced by a new structure in 1936.
From its beginnings, the church was involved in many social service activties, such as service guilds, schools, and St. Luke's Home, one of Vancouver's first hospitals (later becoming a home for the elderly).

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes