Title and statement of responsibility area
St. James' Church fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. James' Church (Vancouver, B.C.)
Physical description area
- 1 microfilm reel
- 1 folder of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. James' Church (Anglican) was the first permanent church established in what is now Vancouver.
It was originally built in May of 1881, west of Westminster Avenue (now Main Street) and north of Alexander Street. This building was destroyed in the fire of 1886, and a new church was constructed at Gore Avenue and Oppenheimer Street (now Cordova Street). St. Agatha's Chapel was added to the structure in 1887, and the church was further enlarged in 1900. This second church building was torn down in 1935 and was replaced by a new structure in 1936.
From its beginnings, the church was involved in many social service activties, such as service guilds, schools, and St. Luke's Home, one of Vancouver's first hospitals (later becoming a home for the elderly).
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records created and received by the St. James' Church. Records include: registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials; newsletters and histories of the church; and records of the St. Luke's Home, such as annual reports, minutes, registers, and accounts. Fonds contains three series: 1) Church registers ; 2) Miscellaneous church records; and 3) St. Luke's Home records.
Immediate source of acquisition
The majority of the fonds was microfilmed by the Archives in 1977. Additional records were donated to the Archives in 1977 by Mrs. Phyllis Reeve.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Photocopies of some files are available.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series descriptions and file lists are available.
See also the Jessie Parkes fonds (Add. MSS.).