Title and statement of responsibility area
Richard B. Gilman collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Gilman, Richard B.
Physical description area
0.01 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Richard B. Gilman was the son of Ellis Philip Gilman, a mining engineer and real estate developer. Between 1906 and 1909, Philip Gilman purchased a block of land on the south side of English Bay known as Thorley Park. Upon this site, Gilman decided to build his family home. The Victoria architect, Samuel Maclure, was commissioned to design the home, which was built between 1910 and 1912. The family resided there until they returned to England in 1922. The next owner, Reginald Brock, named the mansion "Brockholm", which he retained until 1938. In 1975, "Brock House" was developed as a recreation centre for Vancouver senior citizens. Richard Gilman, who moved to England with his family, returned to Ontario after World War II. He worked as a County Education Superintendent.
Scope and content
The collection consists of two photocopies of typescripts describing the history of Philip Gilman and the building of Brock House.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Richard Gilman in 1980.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Folder formerly located at 580-E-07 fld 09.