Title and statement of responsibility area
Queen Charlotte Apartments fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Queen Charlotte Apartments
Physical description area
0.01 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Queen Charlotte Apartments, located at 1101 Nicola Street, were built in 1927 by the Dominion Construction Company. Although the Property Tax Assessments do not exist for 1927 it does appear from water connection records that the property was then owned by the Hon. H. H. Stevens (who had resided in a house at 1101 Nicola Street before construction). As of 1929, or shortly thereafter, the owners are listed as Independent Investments Co. and Karl P. Fletcher (during this period, approximately 1927 to 1942, the building address was 1105 Nicola Street). In 1941 the building was purchased by Niels Anthon Larsen (1874-1960), who had been born in Denmark, had moved to Alberta in 1914, where, by 1916 he established his own creamery in Alix, Alberta, then retired to a farm in Cloverdale in 1935. In 1941 he purchased the property as an investment. Larsen owned the building until his death; the estate sold it in 1983.
Records acquired or generated by Niels Anthon Larsen upon purchase of the Queen Charlotte Apartments in 1941.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of: photocopy of "typical plan . . . Drawing no. 2" (Sept. 1927); a brochure ("Vancouver's finest furnished or unfurnished apartments : 1101 Nicola Street, corner Pendrell Street", includes illustrations, ca. 1930; a contact sheet of 4 frames of photographs by Campbell Studios (exterior and interiors), ca. 1935; a blank rental form, ca. 1940; and an "Interim Receipt" for purchase of the building, 6 Feb. 1941, signed by N. A. Larsen and the agents for the owner, Macaulay, Nicolls, Maitland & Co. City Council passed a by-law to designate 1101 Nicola Street as a heritage property in 1997 (by-law no. 7814). Arranged chronologically.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Anthony A. Larsen, son of Niels Anthon Larsen, in 2001.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to folder 6 is restricted indefinitely due to FOIPPA legislation. File contains architectural plans. Researchers wanting to access this file must complete an ‘Access to restricted records’ agreement, and may be required to seek permission from the building owner. See archivist for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Related records include 1928 photographs of the building (Bu N261.1 and Bu N261.2); reproduction of Robin Ward's drawing, ca. 1990; and 1985 photographs (CVA 791 Roll 11 Frames 13 to 15).
For additional recollections of Niels Larsen's son, Anthony Larsen, see the Archives' case file on the acquisition.