Title and statement of responsibility area
Planning Department's slide file photographs
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on characteristics of series and the department's title ('slide file').
- Variations in title: Formerly titled as 'Departmental slide file photographs'
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
816 photographs : col. and b&w film transparencies ; 35 mm or smaller
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of photographs taken by the Planning Department according to the requirements of departmental projects over the years. Twenty-one of Vancouver's local areas are represented, including: Central Business District [downtown], Fairview, Grandview-Woodland, Hastings-Sunrise, Kensington-Cedar Cottage, Kerrisdale, Killarney, Kitsilano, Marpole, Mount Pleasant, Oakridge, Renfrew-Collingwood, Riley Park, South Cambie, Shaughnessy, Strathcona, Sunset, Victoria-Fraserview, West End, and West Point Grey. Additional areas represented are: Chinatown, False Creek, Gastown (including Blood Alley Square, Trounce Alley, Maple Tree Square, and Gastown Days), Granville Island and Granville Mall, Stanley Park, Harbour (Waterfront), Yaletown, and B.C. Place. Arranged alphabetically by local area, followed by specific areas.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from Graphic Services Division in 1991.
Series previously known as part of unappraised and undescribed series 137 (Planning Department photographs, 1950-1991, CVA 1095).
Photographic images in this series have been assigned catalogue numbers in the range CVA 780-1 to CVA 780-816.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Slides in this series are kept in frozen storage and require 24 hours notice to view. Please refer to digital images on the archives website.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File and item level lists available.