Title and statement of responsibility area
Planning Department reference library
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
15.05 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of material which made up the reference library created for and used by Planning Department staff in the course of their business. Records are primarily reports created by or on behalf of the Planning Department in relation to the full spectrum of the department's responsibilities. The series also includes reports and studies from other City departments, including Finance, Economic Development, Engineering, and Office of the City Clerk. The series also includes reports, studies, and brochures from outside bodies, including Metro Vancouver and its predecessors, the Vancouver Park Board, other cities, provincial government ministries, community groups, property developers and architects, and academics.
The series also contains a set of information binders, consisting of copies of reports, newspaper clippings, articles, brochures, and other published and unpublished material, collected by the Planning Library staff in the late 1980s to late 1990s. The binders are organized by either subject or neighbourhood/area.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Reports which duplicated material already held by the Archives in the Public Documents collection were not retained unless they contained annotations by Planning Department staff.