Title and statement of responsibility area
Planning Department film collection
General material designation
- Moving images
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on form.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
2 film reels
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
The films had been kept by the Planning Department; a Planning employee retrieved them from disposal and donated them to the Archives.
Scope and content
Series consists of films or copies of films collected by the Planning Department, and related to the City and regional planning of the 1960s: urban renewal, downtown planning, and harbour development. Arranged chronologically. The films were presented by the City of Vancouver. Films were produced by Pageant Productions Ltd. of Vancouver for the National Film Board of Canada.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Archives in 1992 by John Atkin and Michael Kluckner.
Films in this series have been assigned catalogue numbers MI-008 and MI-009.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Available in video, digital betacam and MPEG2 files on DVD.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Title list available.