Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Jan. 1921-Jan. 1922, Apr. 1938 (Creation)
- Sharp and Thompson Architects
- Somervell, W. Marbury
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
W. Marbury Somervell was an architect who practiced in New York, Seattle, then Vancouver, both under his own name and as one of the partners in the firm Somervell and Putnam.
Somervell was born in Washington, D.C. and studied architecture at Cornell University. His employers, the New York firm of Heins & Lafarge sent him to the west coast to supervise construction of St. James Cathedral in Seattle. Somervell remained in Seattle, where he forms a partnership with Joseph S. Cote, which practiced in Seattle 1906-1910.
In 1910, Somervell moved on to Vancouver, where he set up practice under his own name. In 1911 his former office manager, the former New York architect, John L. Putnam, became a partner and the firm continued under the name Somervell & Putnam.
The firm was responsible for designing the British Columbia Electric Railway head office and depot at Hastings and Carrall, the Burnaby Municipal Hall, the Bank of Ottawa building at Hastings and Seymour, the Birks building at Georgia and Granville, the Yorkshire building on Seymour Street, the Merchants' Bank building at Hastings and Carrall, the London Building on West Pender Street, the Shannon estate for B.T. Rogers, and the Union Bank building at Hastings and Seymour.
Some time around 1920 the firm and both its partners relocated to Los Angeles. Somervell retired in 1935 and dies in France in 1939.
Name of creator
Sharp and Thompson was a Vancouver architectural firm founded in 1908 by George Lister Thornton Sharp and Charles Joseph Thompson. The firm designed many buildings, including the master plan, Sciences Buildings, Main Library and powerhouse for the University of B.C.; the Vancouver Club; the Anglican Theological College at UBC, the Burrard Street Bridge, and a large number of residences; St. Mary's Church, Kerrisdale; the first Vancouver Art Gallery (1931).
After the retirement of George Sharp around 1940 and architects Robert Berwick and Ned Pratt became partners in 1945, the firm was renamed and continued as Thompson, Berwick and Pratt.