Bookmark and Share

Mechanics Institute Library (Moodyville, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Mechanics Institute Library (Moodyville, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Library of the Mechanics Institute (1874 - )

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Mechanics Institute Burrard Inlet was established on January 13, 1869 to build a building, establish a collection, and support a Reading Room Library and Museum at Moodyville. The building was formally opened on January 23rd. Some 40 individuals had contributed $5 each to erect a suitable building "at Moody's Mills for a reading room and library and for furnishing the same with Books and Papers"; donors had included S. P. Moody, Geo. Dietz, Josiah C. Hughes (the first president), P. W. Swett (the first vice president), among many others. The organization was referred to as The Library of the Mechanics Institute by 1874 (ref. Add.MSS 54 vol. 13, microfiche 06618).

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes