Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
James McIntosh worked as a carpenter in building the S.S. Marten in 1866. He then opened his own shop and took several contracts, including the construction of the Wagon Road from Savona in 1867. In 1871 he acquired 100 acres immediately east of the H.B. Company site. This property was surveyed in 1874, and the plans of this first townsite of Kamloops were recorded with the government in March 1879. In 1870, in partnership with J.A. Mara, John Wilson, and John Usher, he built the Shuswap Mill and become its manager, and in 1887 he built a waterworks to supply the west end of Kamloops. He sold this enterprise to the city in 1894; the Shuswap Mill was destroyed by fire in 1901. In 1891, he founded the Electric Light Co., which was taken over by the city in 1896. McIntosh was chair of the Board of Directors of Kamloops Hospital that opened in 1885. After Kamloops incorporation, he served as magistrate from 1893 to 1895. McIntosh died in 1901.