Title and statement of responsibility area
Mary Gruchy fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Gruchy, Mary J.
Physical description area
- 0.01 m of textual records
- 1 map
- 17 photographs : prints
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Mary Gruchy was born in Nova Scotia. She began an association with John Davidson, the British Columbia Provincial Botanist, who started the office in 1912, at night school, and maintained a personal friendship with his family for many years. He hired her as stenographer when he opened the Provincial Botanical Office and Gardens, but she soon became the Herbarium Assistant. The offices were located in downtown Vancouver, then later at the Fairview Campus of the University of British Columbia, while the garden was located at Essondale. Mary Gruchy remained Mr. Davidson's Herbarium Assistant until her retirement in 1957.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records created, received, and collected by Mary Gruchy. Fonds includes records pertaining to the Provincial Botanical Office, such as annual reports, notes, newspaper clippings, journals, photographs, a retirement certificate, and other materials. The fonds also includes brochures from the B.C. Mountaineering Club, and a map of Mount Garibaldi.
Immediate source of acquisition
The majority of the records were donated to the Archives in 1973 by Mary Gruchy. Additional materials were donated to the Archives in 1982 and at a later date by an unknown individual.
Some photographs in this file have been assigned number CVA 90-1 through 90-5.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See also the John Davidson fonds (Add. MSS. 505).
Folder formerly located at 514-G-07 fld 03.
Some photographs have been separated for preservation purposes.