Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title taken from records schedule.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1905-1966, predominant 1925-1950 (Creation)
- Vancouver (B.C.). Legal Services
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Law Department originated 9 Aug. 1886 when a part-time City Solicitor was appointed to handle the City's legal affairs (drafting City by-laws, drafting charter amendments, interpreting legislation, representing the City in court actions, and giving legal advice to City Council). On 18 July 1910 the first full-time City Solicitor (and counsel for the City) was appointed and authorized to hire several support staff. Despite numerous configurations of position titles over the years, the functions of the City Solicitor's Office (1886-1936) and the Law Office or Law Department (1937-1995, designations alternated during the earlier years) have remained remarkably consistent. These were/are:
(1) By-law writing.
(2) City internal legal advisory.
(3) City of Vancouver counsel.
(4) Provincial legislation interpretation.
(5) Vancouver Charter writing.
Predecessors of the Law Department were: the Law Office or Law Department, 1937-1974; City Solicitor's Office, 1886-1936.
From 1886 the City Solicitor (and at times, the Corporation Counsel) reported to City Council. In 1956, with the establishment of the Board of Administration, the head of the Law Department reported to the Board. (In 1974 the Board was replaced by the City Manager.)
The internal organization of the department has undergone a number of changes since it was created. A department as such was formed in 1910; the City Solicitor was the head, 1910-1935, then the Corporation Counsel, 1935-1974. The legal office was known by the following names:
- City Solicitor's Office, 1886-1936;
- Law Office, 1937-1947;
- Law Department, 1948-1995
- Legal Services Department, 1995-
The following individuals served as chief officer of the City's legal office. Initially the position was City Solicitor on contract: J. J. Blake, 1886-1887; T. T. Black, 1887-1892 (combined position of City Solicitor and Police Magistrate). Permanently appointed City Solicitors, though still on contract, were: A. Hammersley, 1893-1904?; A. McEvoy, 1905-1907 (combined position of City Clerk and City Solicitor); G. H. Cowan, 1907-1910 (combined position of City Solicitor and City Prosecutor); John Gilmour Hay, 1910-1914 (City Solicitor only, Legal Department with staff added); Edward F. Jones, 1915-1922; James B. Williams, 1923-1935. As of 1935 the position was called Corporation Counsel: Donald Edgar McTaggart, 1935-1948; Arthur E. Lord, 1948-1951; Russel Kemp Baker, 1951-1972.
The Office of the City Clerk set up annual files on "City officials", "City Solicitor", "Law Office", "Law Department", in the extensive series 20 ("Subject files - including Council supporting documents").
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Vancouver (B.C.). Legal Services (Creator)