Title and statement of responsibility area
Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale
Physical description area
- 0.82 m of textual records
- ca. 150 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale was originally incorporated under the Societies Act, on December 6, 1938, as the Kiwanis Club of Point Grey . It was part of the larger organization, Kiwanis International whose objectives are to provide service to society via its individual member groups. It is dedicated to "the application of higher social, business, and professional standards" (Kiwanis International Statement of Objectives). There is no evidence of disbandment of the Point Grey Club. The name/location change initiating the beginning of the Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale occurred officially, under the same act on March 14, 1953. (Apparently after the name/location change, a second Point Grey Kiwanis Club was formed , known as the Kiwanis Club of West Point.) The Kiwanis Cub of Kerrisdale's service to the community consisted of donations to such bodies as the Alzheimer Association, Western Institution for the Deaf, BC Boys Choir and Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra, Westside Family Place, Boy Scouts, Canadian Mental Health, and the Salvation Army among others. They also supported higher education in the form of scholarship awards to secondary school and university students. These donations were accumulated through such fundraising efforts as their Annual Dog Shows. The club was part of the Pacific Northwest District of Kiwanis International and in 1948, the Kiwanis Club of Point Grey won the First Prize Achievement Award for that year in that division. The club held a formal celebration for its 50th. Anniversary in 1988. It disbanded on January 21, 1992.
Name of creator
The records of the Club were stored in two separate locations before being transferred to the Archives: in the basement of Jarvey Lofvendahl and in a cabin at Crescent Beach. The cabin was broken into in the 1990s and the records moved to an unknown location where they ended up getting wet. Consequently, some of the records were disposed of.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the records of the Kiwanis Club of Point Grey and the Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale. The majority of the files are of the Kerrisdale club. They comprise some agenda and minutes, correspondence, scrapbooks, news bulletins, documentation on their dog shows, information relating to their presentations of scholarships, information on their 50th. Anniversary celebration and photographs. Arranged into 11 series by the archivist and listed chronologically.
Immediate source of acquisition
Initial donation received from Harvey K. Lofrendahl in 1992. Second donation received from Frederick Reinarz, also in 1992.
The fonds was acquired in a variety of boxes and bags in no particular order and therefore had to be arranged by the archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Series and file list available.