Title and statement of responsibility area
King Edward High School collection
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.92 m of textual records and photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Vancouver's first high school, known as Vancouver High School, opened in 1890. Students met in a two-room wooden building until 1893, when an eight-classroom school was built at Cambie and Dunsmuir. As the school's population expanded, it was clear that a new facility was needed. In 1905, a new building was erected in Fairview, on 12th Avenue and Oak Street. The new campus was affiliated with McGill University serving both as a high school and college until 1907. The school was renamed King Edward High School in 1910 in honour of King Edward VII.
King Edward High School served as the first home of the University of British Columbia until the University relocated to the Point Grey campus in 1916. The High School continued to offer first year university classes until its last high school graduation in 1962.
For the next decade, King Edward High School assumed the role of a Community College. On June 20, 1973 the school building was destroyed by fire. The stone wall located at Twelfth Avenue and Oak Street remains the last historical monument to the High School’s existence. Architect Richard Henriquez, created a further memory of King Edward High School by incorporating a tile demarcation in the lobby floor of the building representing the west wall of the school structure.
Scope and content
The collection consists of King Edward High School yearbooks, publications, news clippings, and photographs. The collection also includes photographs and news clippings related to the Vancouver Community College King Edward Campus.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by the Coordinator of Photography Technician Program at Vancouver Community College (V.C.C.), Langara in July 1985. Accruals from Brenda Appleton, Campus Librarian, V.C.C. King Edward Campus in November 1988 and from Dale Dorn, V.C.C. in Sept. 2004.
The photographs in this fonds have been assigned the prefixes CVA 414, CVA 457, and CVA 664.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Some of the missing yearbooks are represented in the Pamphlet Collection, as follows: 1914 (PAM 1914-49), 1919 (PAM 1919-56), 1925 (PAM 1925-65), 1926 (PAM 1926-58).