Bookmark and Share

Item : Port P600 - John Callister

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John Callister

General material designation

  • Photograph

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Wadds Bros.

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

AM54-S4-: Port P600

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [190-?] (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : silver gelatin print ; 13 x 9 cm (oval)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

item is a photograph that is a head and shoulders portrait mounted on board. On the back are pasted two pieces of paper--one handwritten, one typed--that appear to have been created by City Archivist Major Matthews.

The handwritten one says: "John Callister of "Callister Park", 1842-1934. Pioneer, Burrard Inlet, April 1885; Lost all in "Great Fire, 1886; Built and half owner "Ellesmere Rooms", Pender and Homer, May, 1887; supported Vancouver Reading Room, (public library); a founder and Hon. President, Vancouver Manx Society, 1909; Pioneer, Hastings Townsite, 1905; in Mar. 1942, a block of land, part of his estate, a home and garden made by him from a clearing of stumps beside a forest, with its summer fires-- was presented to the Citizens of Vancouver by a devoted niece, his sister's daughter, Mrs. Ada M Stevenson, 2596 Dundas St. and, under deed of gift, named "Callister Park" in his honour."

The typed one says: "John Callister. Pioneer, April 1885, Burrard Inlet. Uncle of Mrs Ada M. Stevenson, 2596 Dundas Street, who, in about the 25th-30th March 1942, presented to the City of Vancouver a block of land, formerly known as "Con Jones Park", although Mr. Jones had little to do with the 'Park', and renamed "Callister Park". Mr. Callister was a Manxman, was one of the founders of the Vancouver Manx Society, was born 1842, died 1934. He was also one of the supporters--with cash--of the Vancouver Reading Room, Cordova Street, 1888 or 1889. He built the famous "Ellesmere Rooms", n.w. corner Pender and Homer, 1886 or 1887, and was half owner. (see his file, also "Callister Park". Presented, 7th May 1942 by Mrs Stevenson."

Notes area

Physical condition

Image fading

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Mrs. Stevenson in 1942

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

J.S. Matthews' notes with print in Archives

Alpha-numeric designations

Old Photo Number: Port N247
Photographer's number 9620

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Rights area

Related right

Basis

Copyright

Start date

End date

Documentation Identifier Type

Documentation Identifier Value

Documentation Identifier Role

Rights note(s)

Copyright status

Public domain

Copyright status determination date

Copyright jurisdiction

Copyright note


Act

Replicate

Restriction

Allow

Start date

End date

Notes

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres