Title and statement of responsibility area
Heritage inventory 1986 : photograph surveys
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Statements of responsibility: Planning Department Staff
- Source of title proper: Title based on purpose and function.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
ca. 4,500 photographs : b&w polyester negatives ; 35 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of three sets of photographic surveys which were carried out to assist the heritage designation and evaluation process resulting in the revised 1986 heritage inventory. The three sets are arranged in the following subseries:
- Survey 1 - buildings
- Survey 2 - public nominations
- Survey 3 - parks, landscaping, and monuments
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from the Heritage Planning office in Sept. 2000.
Photographs in this series have been assigned catalogue numbers with the prefix CVA 790, CVA 791and CVA 792.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File lists available by film roll, with detailed descriptions of each frame/image.
The photographs were used in the "Vancouver heritage inventory : summary report", 1986 (PD 1470) and in series 640 ("Heritage Inventory 1986 : evaluation forms").
Copyright: City of Vancouver; expiry: varies