Title and statement of responsibility area
Heritage evaluation forms : deletions from register (buildings demolished for redevelopment)
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on labelling of forms and on activities associated with the records in the series.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
0.39 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of heritage evaluation forms on buildings deleted from the heritage register because the building has been demolished. The request for a deletion originates from the applicant for a development permit where that redevelopment entails demolition of the existing building(s). Once the development permit is approved because there is no possibility of keeping the building through negotiation with the owner, demolition is permitted. Arranged by street address.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from the Planning Department in 2000.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
35mm b&w negatives for photographs in this series refer to CVA 790.