Bookmark and Share

Fonds AM76 - Grouse Mountain Highway and Scenic Resort fonds

View of Crown Mountain, Dam Mountain, Grouse Mountain, and Dome Mountain from Vancouver

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Grouse Mountain Highway and Scenic Resort fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AM76

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1924-1935 (Creation)
    Creator
    Grouse Mountain Highway and Scenic Resort

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 1.1 m of textual records
  • 72 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Grouse Mountain Highway and Scenic Resort was formed in 1926 under president W.C. Shelly. In 1927 the chalet and ski-houses were opened on an 1800-acre property purchased from government and private owners. In 1928 a committee of Vancouver businessmen tried to devise a plan to save the resort from bankruptcy. After further difficulties, however, the company's property was put up for tax sale in December 1933. In 1934 the property reverted to the Corporation of the District of North Vancouver for non-payment of taxes. In 1945 the resort was purchased from the district by Marwell Construction Company. The ski lift was finished in 1950, and that year the property was sold to Grouse Mountain Alpine Resorts Ltd. The chalet was destroyed by fire in 1962 and was rebuilt the following year.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of four volumes of survey notes of G.P. Stirrett, 1926-1927; photographs of Grouse Mountain, the chalet and highway, and views of Vancouver, 1925-1926 ; Chinook Days by Tom MacInness, 1926, a book of stories published to mark the opening of the resort; the prospectus, 1925, and publicity materials, 1925-1933; business correspondence, 1924-1935; financial statements, 1925 - 1935; a record of toll-free passes, 1933-1935; and a visitor's book, 1933.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Photographs in this fonds have been assigned item numbers with the prefix "CVA 369"

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres