Title and statement of responsibility area
Eva Matsuzaki collection
General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Matsuzaki, Eva
Physical description area
- 0.07 m of textual records
- ca. 586 photographs
- Architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Vancouver Courthouse was designed by architect Francis Mawson Rattenbury and built between 1907-1910. Between those years, however, Vancouver's economy boomed and its population doubled; the resultant increase in litigation rendered the Courthouse space inadequate as soon as it opened. The government commissioned a rival of Rattenbury's - Thomas Hooper - to design an additon to the building, which was completed in 1912. Additional renovations were carried out by the B.C. government in 1952, but by 1959 it was clear that Vancouver had again outgrown its courthouse; however, plans to add another wing did not materialize at that time. In 1967, the Community Arts Council commissioned the firm of Erickson/Massey to conduct a study on the impact of potential development of the downtown core, particularly of Blocks 51 (courthouse) and 61.
Initial plans for a highrise office block were scrapped with the demise of the W.A.C. Bennett government and plans to develop a three block complex - 51, 61 and 71 - proceeded in 1972 under the N.D.P. government of Dave Barrett, and the also newly-elected TEAM city government.
In 1974, Arthur Erickson was engaged to do a feasibility study on what possible civic use could be made of the old courthouse. Although several alternatives were presented, conversion to a new home for the Vancouver Art Gallery emerged as the most promising idea. In 1983, after extensive renovation of the old courthouse according to Erickson's designs, the Vancouver Art Gallery opened in its new setting.
This collection was donated by Eva Matsuzaki, an architect with Erickson's firm, who was project supervisor for the courthouse renovations.
Scope and content
Collection consists of records documenting the early study phase of the project to re-purpose the old provincial court house which eventually resulted in creation of the present home of the Vancouver Art Gallery.
Records consist of a photographic survey of the interior and exterior prior to renovations, a two-part feasibility report prepared for the City in 1974, and architectural drawings of the courthouse from original construction through a number of additions and renovations to the early 1970s.
The large majority of the drawings are photostats and are most are significantly degraded and difficult to read.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by Eva Matsuzaki in 1984.
Photographs in this fonds have been assigned the prefix CVA 726.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to architectural drawings in this fonds is restricted indefinitely due to FOIPPA legislation. Researchers wanting to access these files must complete an 'Access to restricted records' agreement and may be required to seek permission from the building owner. See archivist for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
1) CVA Library - Rosenberg, Ann, "Robson Square" in The Capilano Review, no. 40, 1986.
2) AM301 - Community Arts Council, especially volume 18.
3) AM83 - Records of the B.C. Government Department of Public Works - "Specifications for a Courthouse", 1907
4) AM794 - Vancouver Courthouse - Rattenbury plans
Folder formerly located at 589-F-03 fld 01-02