Bookmark and Share

Series S351 - Electrical Division project files

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Electrical Division project files

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title taken from title of file list prepared by the Engineering Department.

Level of description

Series

Reference code

COV-S351

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1905-1985, predominant 1930-1974 (Creation)
    Creator
    Vancouver (B.C.). Electrical Division
  • 1905-1985, predominant 1930-1974 (Creation)
    Creator
    Vancouver (B.C.). Electrical Department

Physical description area

Physical description


  • 5.04 m of textual records
  • 31 microfilm reels

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1966-1988)

Administrative history

In 1966, the planned introduction of a Permits and Licenses Department catalyzed a large change for the Electrical Department: since the new Department was to assume responsibility for all inspection services, it was noted that the remainder of functions performed by the Electrical Department were essentially engineering in nature. It was therefore recommended by the City Engineer that the department be set up as a division of the Engineering Department – a recommendation which was accepted and officially occurred in November of 1966.

In the period from 1966 to 1988, the structure of the Electrical Division remained remarkably stable; the division was composed of three branches: Street Lighting & Utilities Control, Electrical Operations, and Electrical Engineering (also referred to as Electrical & Communications Design).

In 1988, the Electrical Division was renamed the Electrical & Utilities Control Division and assumed responsibility for the entire Drafting Branch of Engineering Services.

Name of creator

(1892-1966)

Administrative history

With the incorporation of the city, numerous services and utilities quickly developed. The introduction of electrical street lighting was one of the first steps to be taken by City Council. The Standing Committee on Fire, Water and Light was in charge of this area and oversaw the installation of twenty electric lights approved by Council on November 22nd, 1886. Initially, this committee maintained control over the city’s electrical system.

As the city grew, it became apparent that an official was needed to regulate and oversee the developing electrical systems, both public and private. On May 30th, 1892, the City Council passed Bylaw #143 to regulate the wiring and equipment used in all buildings in the city. The bylaw also called for the appointment of an electrical wiring inspector to enforce the regulations. The first inspector (C. F. Hutchings) was hired on April 28, 1893.

In June 1904, the position title was changed from Electric Wiring Inspector to City Electrician. It was also around this time that the increasing workload necessitated the expansion of the department: assistant electricians were hired, as well as an Assistant City Electrician.

The functions of the department included maintaining the fire and police alarm systems so it was appropriate that the department reported to the Fire and Police Committee from 1902 to 1928. As well as looking after the alarm systems, the department continued to inspect all wiring installations in the city and oversaw the development and maintenance of street lighting. The governing bylaw was repealed in August 1912 and replaced by Bylaw #924. The new regulations officially declared the existence of the Electrical Department as well as updating the technical information.

During the years from 1912 to 1934, when Charles H. Fletcher was City Electrician, the department was divided into three sections: Electric Inspection, Ornamental Street Lighting, and Fire Alarm and Police Patrol Systems. These sections remained the basis for administering the department for the rest of its existence.

In 1937, a new standing committee was formed to oversee the work of the Electrical Department. The Harbours, Utilities and Airport Committee, renamed the Utilities and Airport Committee in 1949, served as the controlling committee for the department until 1956. At that time, the committee structure was drastically altered and the Board of Administration took over regulation of many departments.

The final administrative change for the Electrical Department occurred in 1966. The former City Electrician, Lorne Ryan, had been promoted to the position of Administrator on the Board of Administration in February 1965. At that time, it was decided that the Electrical Department should become a division of the Engineering Department. One of the major catalysts for this change was accommodating for the institution of a Permits and Licenses Department; this department (which was officially established in 1967) was to be given responsibility for all inspection services. As a result, inspection functionality being so transferred, the remainder of work in the Electrician’s Department would be essentially engineering in nature, and the City Engineer therefore recommended that the Electrical Department be set up as a division of the Engineering Department. This occurred officially in November of 1966.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of two sets of electrical project files, which were probably kept by two engineers or two offices. Records pertain to the electrical aspects of a wide variety of city-wide sites, as well as to overall systems such as traffic signals, street lighting, fire alarms, radio signal transmitters, and utility poles. Set 1 (1930-1971) is in original paper form, while set 2 (1941-1975, microfilmed 1985) is microfilm copy. The two offices sometimes worked on the same projects, but neither set contains all projects (records are usually not duplicated). Arranged in two sets of numerical sequences by project numbers.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Set 1 transferred from the department in 1974. Set 2 forwarded by the department in 1985.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

The originals corresponding to the microfilm copies were disposed of by the department in 1985.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to 44-A-5 reel 24 is restricted, please consult the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Project file list available. A more detailed file list prepared by the Electrical Division is available for set 2, the microfilmed files.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

General note

In 1975 the Engineering Department set up a new filing system whereby electrical files were incorporated into the "Central Registry" file system.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres