Title and statement of responsibility area
Electrical Division contract files
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on supplied file list.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Microfilmed 1985 (originally created 1963-1974) (Creation)
- Vancouver (B.C.). Electrical Division
- Vancouver (B.C.). Electrical Department
Physical description area
3 microfilm reels
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1966, the planned introduction of a Permits and Licenses Department catalyzed a large change for the Electrical Department: since the new Department was to assume responsibility for all inspection services, it was noted that the remainder of functions performed by the Electrical Department were essentially engineering in nature. It was therefore recommended by the City Engineer that the department be set up as a division of the Engineering Department – a recommendation which was accepted and officially occurred in November of 1966.
In the period from 1966 to 1988, the structure of the Electrical Division remained remarkably stable; the division was composed of three branches: Street Lighting & Utilities Control, Electrical Operations, and Electrical Engineering (also referred to as Electrical & Communications Design).
In 1988, the Electrical Division was renamed the Electrical & Utilities Control Division and assumed responsibility for the entire Drafting Branch of Engineering Services.
Name of creator
With the incorporation of the city, numerous services and utilities quickly developed. The introduction of electrical street lighting was one of the first steps to be taken by City Council. The Standing Committee on Fire, Water and Light was in charge of this area and oversaw the installation of twenty electric lights approved by Council on November 22nd, 1886. Initially, this committee maintained control over the city’s electrical system.
As the city grew, it became apparent that an official was needed to regulate and oversee the developing electrical systems, both public and private. On May 30th, 1892, the City Council passed Bylaw #143 to regulate the wiring and equipment used in all buildings in the city. The bylaw also called for the appointment of an electrical wiring inspector to enforce the regulations. The first inspector (C. F. Hutchings) was hired on April 28, 1893.
In June 1904, the position title was changed from Electric Wiring Inspector to City Electrician. It was also around this time that the increasing workload necessitated the expansion of the department: assistant electricians were hired, as well as an Assistant City Electrician.
The functions of the department included maintaining the fire and police alarm systems so it was appropriate that the department reported to the Fire and Police Committee from 1902 to 1928. As well as looking after the alarm systems, the department continued to inspect all wiring installations in the city and oversaw the development and maintenance of street lighting. The governing bylaw was repealed in August 1912 and replaced by Bylaw #924. The new regulations officially declared the existence of the Electrical Department as well as updating the technical information.
During the years from 1912 to 1934, when Charles H. Fletcher was City Electrician, the department was divided into three sections: Electric Inspection, Ornamental Street Lighting, and Fire Alarm and Police Patrol Systems. These sections remained the basis for administering the department for the rest of its existence.
In 1937, a new standing committee was formed to oversee the work of the Electrical Department. The Harbours, Utilities and Airport Committee, renamed the Utilities and Airport Committee in 1949, served as the controlling committee for the department until 1956. At that time, the committee structure was drastically altered and the Board of Administration took over regulation of many departments.
The final administrative change for the Electrical Department occurred in 1966. The former City Electrician, Lorne Ryan, had been promoted to the position of Administrator on the Board of Administration in February 1965. At that time, it was decided that the Electrical Department should become a division of the Engineering Department. One of the major catalysts for this change was accommodating for the institution of a Permits and Licenses Department; this department (which was officially established in 1967) was to be given responsibility for all inspection services. As a result, inspection functionality being so transferred, the remainder of work in the Electrician’s Department would be essentially engineering in nature, and the City Engineer therefore recommended that the Electrical Department be set up as a division of the Engineering Department. This occurred officially in November of 1966.
Scope and content
Series consists of files numbered "Contract 94" through "Contract 105" containing general correspondence and progress estimates for street lighting contracted out to private electrical firms. General correspondence files begin with a list of the letters contained in the file, giving date sent or received, name of correspondent and subject matter. File contents include contracts, tenders, schedules and estimates, engineering drawings, and inspection certificates. Progress estimates are detailed accounts of costs incurred, sent periodically from the contractor to the City Electrician. Files numbered "Contract 57" through "Contract 92" were disposed of in 1977 and never microfilmed. Arranged by contract number.
Immediate source of acquisition
Forwarded by Engineering Department in 1985.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Originals destroyed by Engineering Department in 1985.
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available (prepared by Engineering Department).
No further accruals expected.
In 1975 the Engineering Department set up a new filing system whereby electrical files were incorporated into the "Central Registry" file system. In future, later records associated with this series will arrive on microfilm as part of the Administration Division's "Housekeeping Subject Files".