Title and statement of responsibility area
Downtown and West End buildings inventory photographs
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of series and departmental title.
- Variations in title: Series previously known as part of unappraised and undescribed series 137 (Planning Department photographs, 1950-1991, CVA 1095).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1,482 photographs : b&w polyester negatives ; 35 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of images which systematically and comprehensively document the whole of Vancouver's central commercial area, along the waterfront from Cardero to Carrall, narrowing southward to False Creek (Thurlow to Richards at the southernmost point). Photographed in August 1981 (as an internship or work experience project) to provide a reference resource in the preparation for the Vancouver Coreplan. Images are generally 45 degree views of buildings, often from block corners. Arranged in a devised image block numbering scheme (individual image numbers reflect that organization).
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from Graphic Services Division in 1991.
Photographs in this series have been assigned catalogue numbers with the prefix CVA 779.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Also available as contact prints
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aids include a map which provides a quick overview of the area represented and an item list (also in database), both filed at CVA finding aids (CVA 779).
series 509 (CVA 778, Downtown and West End building facades inventory photographs, 1974, though it covers a smaller geographic area).
No further accruals expected.
Old Photo Number: Individual image numbers taken from block numbering key devised to organize the project (e.g. CVA 779-E1.33 is one image, CVA 779-W8 .34-.35 is two similar images).