Title and statement of responsibility area
Downtown and West End building facades inventory photographs
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Statements of responsibility: Photographs taken by a Planning Department Planning Assistant.
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of series and departmental labelling of photographs.
- Variations in title: Series previously known as part of unappraised and undescribed series 137 (Planning Department photographs, 1950-1991, CVA 1095).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
447 photographs : col. film transparencies (slides) ; 35 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of photographs of building facades of the "character areas" of Vancouver taken for reference purposes to aid heritage and development planning processes. (A few months earlier the department had prepared its Goals and Objectives statement for 1974, which expressed the desire to broaden the local area planning activities to include beautification and heritage factors (PD 147)). The "character areas" were: "Financial", "Hastings", "Gastown", "Central Core" (east of Granville), "Robsonstrasse", and the "potential character area" of "Georgia Gate". Photographed by departmental Planning Assistant. Arranged alphabetically by street address.
Immediate source of acquisition
Transferred from Graphic Services Division in 1991.
Photographs in this series have been assigned catalogue numbers in the range CVA 778-1 to CVA 778-447.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aids include a one-page summary of address ranges and an item list, available in the finding aid for CVA 778 in the reading room.
series 510 (Downtown and West End buildings inventory photographs, 1981, though it covers a larger geographic area).
No further accruals expected.