Bookmark and Share

David Spencer Limited

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

David Spencer Limited

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

David Spencer Limited (commonly known as Spencer's) operated during the late 19th and first half of the 20th century and was part of a larger department store chain operated in the province of British Columbia. The store began operations in Victoria in 1873, it opened its first Vancouver store in 1907. By December 1926, after purchasing the greater part of a block in the 500 block Hastings Street, it was able to open a nine storey elegant art deco flagship store. The building had five stories below street level and 320,000 square feet of shopping space. As well as having many amenities, it boasted a toyland and its trademark chairs beside the elevators. During the first half of the 20th century Spencer's Department Store was an important retail institution in Vancouver as it not only supported many civic events but also employed many people in Vancouver. In 1936, true to its character, it celebrated Vancouver's Golden Jubilee by creating a time capsule to be opened in 1986. In 1948, David Spencer Limited sold all its stores in British Columbia, including its Hastings Street location to the T. Eaton Company of Toronto. (research done by the Vancouver Historical Society)

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes