Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Vancouver : showing all city owned property [sectional map]
General material designation
- Cartographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1925], with revisions to ca. 1945 (Creation)
- Vancouver (B.C.). Office of the City Engineer
- Dates of annotations not known.
Physical description area
3 maps and 1 chart in 64 sheets : photo-mechanical reproduction, annot. ; 22 x 34 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The creation of the position of City Engineer was required by bylaw #1. In addition to their other responsibilities, early City Engineers advised the Board of Works with what projects were necessary and presented them with recommendations on tenders. The Engineer also supervised an assistant engineer who carried out surveys, a street inspector, and the city’s scavengers who performed refuse collection.
The Office of the City Engineer received and sent correspondence on behalf of his divisions for certain matters (particularly in the early years, when the “City Engineer” and “Engineering Department” were nearly synonymous), produced manuals, reports, and publications; and otherwise contained documents which were directed to or emanated from the position of City Engineer proper.
From time to time, the City Engineer would be involved with special committees, such as the Metric Conversion Committee from 1977-1979.
The following individuals have served as City Engineer (from 1995, the City Engineer was also referred to as “General Manager” of the then renamed Engineering Services):
• John P. Lawson, 1886-1890;
• Henry B. Warren, 1890-1891;
• Thomas H. Tracy, 1891-1905;
• William A. Clement, 1905-1911;
• Frederick L. Fellowes, 1911-1924;
• Charles Brakenridge, 1924-1946;
• Charles A. Battershill, 1946-1949;
• John C. Oliver, 1949-1956;
• Randolph M. Martin, 1956-1971;
• Gordon H. Lawson, 1971-1974;
• William H. Curtis, 1974-1991;
• David Rudberg, 1991-
• Tom Timm, -2010
• Peter Judd, 2010 -
Scope and content
File consists of three maps, including one sectional maps. The maps include an index to the sections, an index to District Lots, and one sectional map in 61 sections. The sections have been annotated with colour coding to show tax sale property for sale, property with no water, street widening and drainage, replotting, reserved land for schools, reserved land for parks, sundry land, capital assets not including schools and parks, schools, and parks. An index to the colour coding was hand-drawn on the verso of the sheet with the index to District Lots.
Immediate source of acquisition
Map had previously been alienated from original series and placed in AM1594.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
A digitized copy of this material is available on-line.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication