Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Alberta Sugar Company
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Canadian Sugar Factories (C.S.F.) was incorporated in 1925 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company, which was owned by senior members of the Mormon Church in the United States. BC Sugar purchased C.S.F. April 13, 1931, a year when the beet sugar industry in North America had suffered economic setbacks and the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company needed cash to finance its debts. In 1931, C.S.F. consisted of a single sugar beet refinery in Raymond, Alberta, adjacent to the site of the old Knight Sugar Company refinery.
In response to repeated requests by sugar beet farmers and the Alberta government, BC Sugar expanded C.S.F. by building two additional sugar beet refineries in Alberta: the Picture Butte refinery (which operated 1936-1978) and the Taber refinery (which opened in 1950). The Raymond refinery was closed in 1963 and Picture Butte in 1978. In 1978, C.S.F.'s legal name was changed to the Alberta Sugar Company, the brand name under which it had been operating for a number of years.
While C.S.F./Alberta Sugar ceased to exist as an independent entity in 1995, the Taber refinery continues to operate, as part of BC Sugar and it's successor company, Lantic, Inc.