Title and statement of responsibility area
Built heritage research records
General material designation
- Textual record
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1967-1996, 2003-2004 (Creation)
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
3.6 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists of records documenting research conducted by Heritage Planners and private heritage contractors working on behalf of the Planning Department into the heritage features of various structures in the City of Vancouver. The structures documented are primarily buildings.
Files in the series may contain any or all of the following on a particular structure: correspondence and memoranda, photographs, survey forms, architectural survey forms, beautification building survey data forms, architectural or technical drawings, and general notes on history, condition, assessed value, etc. Many of the forms include one or more small photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Files for surveys in the 1970s are arranged by street name; each file contains information on one or more structures on a particular street or range of blocks on a street. Surveys from later years are filed by individual address. Some survey forms cover streetscapes or multiple structures, though most are for one building only.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some files in this series are restricted for privacy reasons. Please refer to individual file descriptions for information on the access status of a particular file.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photographs associated with the 1974 and 1978 heritage inventories may be found in series COV-S644 (1967-1977, CVA 1095) and COV-S535-F4 (1978, CVA 786).