Title and statement of responsibility area
British Columbia Department of Public Works fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1907, 1927 (Creation)
Physical description area
0.01 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Department of Public Works was established in 1908 through the enactment of the Department of Public Works Act, which formalized the division of the former Department of Lands and Works into two departments.
The Department was responsible for design, construction and maintenance of government offices and buildings used by various provincial agencies; public highways, bridges, wharves; river-bank protection; and maintenance of ferry and steamboat services.
In 1975 the Department of Public Works and the Department of Highways merged to form the Department of Highways and Public Works.
Name of creator
Scope and content
The fonds includes the specifications for a courthouse to be erected on the block bounded by Georgia, Hornby, Howe and Robson Streets, for the Provincial Government of B.C., to be built in conformity with drawings prepared by F.M. Rattenbury of Victoria. Included are general conditions in contracting for the building. The fonds also includes the specification, issued by the Inspector of Electrical Energy, from the Court House in Vancouver, for installation of transformers and secondary wiring, lighting and a silo motor, at Colony Farm, Essondale. Tenders were submitted to the Minister of Public Works, Victoria.
Immediate source of acquisition
Presented in part by Harold Cullerne of North Burnaby.