Title and statement of responsibility area
Brian Wilson fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the provenance of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Wilson, Brian G.
Physical description area
0.09 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Brian Wilson, a professor at Simon Fraser University, was elected President of the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association and Chairman of its Board of Trustees in the spring of 1975.
Name of creator
In 1958, as part of celebrations for British Columbia's Centennial, construction began on the Vancouver Maritime Museum, which formally opened in 1960. In 1959, the City of Vancouver created the Civic Museums Board to oversee the operations of the Vancouver Maritime Museum and the City Museum. The Art, Historical, and Scientific Association was represented on this Board, and otherwise served as the City's official museum membership organization.
In 1967, as part of celebrations for Canada's Centennial, construction began on a new museum building in Vanier Park. At this time, the name of the City Museum was changed to the Centennial Museum. The new building was completed in October of 1968, and housed the Centennial Museum, as well as the H.R. MacMillan Planetarium (now the Pacific Space Centre).
In 1972, the City relinquished its direct management over the Museums. At this time, the Art, Historical, and Scientific Association changed its name to the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association, and took over the management of the Centennial Museum, the H.R. MacMillan Planetarium, and the Maritime Museum. Previously, the short form name also used was the Vancouver Museums Association. By 1979, the Association began experimenting with having some degree of autonomy for the institutions it administered on behalf of the City. In 1987, a resolution was passed to have all the operations of the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association evolve into three separate legal entities. Later that year, the Vancouver Museum Board of Trustees chose to retain the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association as its operating society, with a change in name and constitution. The Vancouver Museum also undertook to be responsible for transacting all matters relating to the timely and orderly conclusion of the affairs of the Vancouver Museums and Planetarium Association in 1988.
Simon Fraser University Archives had custody of the material until November 1987.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, reports and correspondence relating to the management of the museums-planetarium complex during the year 1975.