Title and statement of responsibility area
Audio tapes of Governmental Review Commission proceedings
General material designation
- Sound recording
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
- Variations in title: Formerly titled as 'Audio tapes of proceedings'
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Governmental Review Commission
Physical description area
9 audio reels
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Governmental Review Commission was appointed by City Council on 23 Apr. 1979 to:
- consider the merits of the "at-large" electoral system as well as some form of a ward system for Vancouver, and the implications that may be involved, including consideration of the plebiscite results in 1973 and 1978;
- if a ward system was recommended, to consider the elements of a ward system (number of wards, ward boundaries, etc.); and
- to make recommendations on the foregoing, as well as on the size of Council, the length of the term of office of Council members and frequency of elections, as well as qualifications for candidacy, and role and powers of the Mayor and Council.
The Commission was formed as a result of the 15 Nov. 1978 election when 51.7 percent of voters voted for the ward system. The members of the Commission were: Judge L. S. Eckardt (chairman), Dr. Robert M. Clark (Vice Chairman), Dr. Roy D. Bell, Mr. Alan F. Campney, and Dr. Edward McWhinney (QC).
The Commission held public meetings throughout Vancouver to receive the opinion of the citizens of Vancouver on the subject of electoral systems, governmental reform, and the general shape of City government into the 1980s and beyond.
The Commission issued its final report in Nov. 1979 (15-G-6 file 8) which put foward 26 recommendations (pages 40-42), including that a ward system be implemented for election to Council, the Park Board, and the School Board.
Official custodian was the Office of the City Clerk
Scope and content
Series contains audio tapes of the proceedings of hearings 1-13 and 17-18. Arranged in tape number order (somewhat chronologically).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available.
For other records of the Governmental Review Commission see series 528, 529 and 530.