Title and statement of responsibility area
Aerial survey photographs
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title taken from records schedule.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Vancouver (B.C.). Planning Department
Physical description area
- ca. 1487 photographs
- 2 rolls of negative film
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Planning Department was established on November 1, 1952 with the appointment of the Director of Planning, further to the July 1951 report commissioned by City Council from town planning consultants Harold Spence-Sales and John Bland (PD 335). The report had proposed that the Vancouver Town Planning Commission hand over the work intensive and detailed aspects of planning but maintain the advisory role to City Council (renamed Vancouver City Planning Commission in 1972). Those aspects were taken on by the new Planning Department, while the more substantial Zoning By-law interpretation and exception decision-making, as well as the broader aspects of city planning were carried out by a committee of relevant senior staff and officials, which was called the Technical Planning Board. The Board was chaired by the Director of Planning.
Previous to the establishment of the Planning Department in 1952 the Town Planning Commission was responsible for city planning (1926-1952). The earliest town planning or city planning activity was carried out under the authority of City Council, in conjunction with the Board of Works, and the Engineering Department (1886-1926).
Scope and content
Series consists mainly of 25 x 25 cm b&w photographs, each showing a perpendicular view of a small area of Vancouver (sometimes known as mosaics). Series also includes 11 photographs of the Cassiar Connector taken in 1991, 62 x 66 cm or smaller.
Immediate source of acquisition
Most of the photographs were transferred from Graphic Services Division in 1991 and 1993. 1952 photographs were transferred from the Engineering Department's Mapping and Graphics Division in 1996, and 1991 photographs of the Cassiar Connector were transferred from the Administrative Division of Engineering Services in 2001.
Photographs in this public records series have been assigned item numbers with the prefix "CVA 781"
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available. Key maps available (attached to file list), except for 1991 photographs of Cassiar Connector.
There are several regional aerial survey photographs in the Map Collection (see subject catalogue under "Aerial survey photographs"). A set of photographs taken by the Royal Canadian Air Force (ca. 1945) is in the JSM Photograph Collection (VLP 186).