- [ca. 1930-2015]
On February 8, 1944, a group of Marpole community leaders met at St. Augustine’s Church to discuss the idea of having a community centre in Marople. After the meeting, the Marpole Continuation Committee was formed with 11 delegates to promote the idea. On March 20, 1944, the Committee was renamed the Marpole Community Association and the first group of board members was elected. They were:
E.A. (Ted) miles – President
C.S. (Soul) Moulds – Vice-President
J.M. Duncan – Secretary
S.G. (Garnie) Main – Treasurer
The Association was incorporated under Societies Act on June 5, 1944. The objective of the Association was to assist, develop and to foster community spirit throughout the district of Marpole. In 1945, the Park Board bought the Dr. H.W. Riggs property at 926 West 49th Avenue and leased the property to the Marpole Community Association for use as temporary and provisional community centre. This provisional community centre was opened on November 18, 1945. In the same year, Marpole Community Association also launched a $40,000 building plan of a permanent community centre located adjacent to the Reggs property on the northeast corner of Oak Park.
After years of planning and fund-raising, Marpole Community Centre was opened on December 1, 1949. The total cost was $115,000. $60,000 was raised through the Local Improvement by-law, $20,000 was put up by the Community Centre by-law and the rest was raised locally by the Marpole Community Association. The Marpole Community Centre was the first community centre built in Vancouver. In 1967, the Marpole Community Association was renamed the Marpole-Oakridge Community Association.
The Marpole-Oakridge Community Association has been operating the Marpole-Oakridge Community Centre since 1949. The Community Centre serves the needs of the community by providing various sports training classes, interest groups, social clubs and acts a as a meeting place for the residents of Marpole-Oakridge.