The Urban Design Centre was a Vancouver non-profit society which offered free or low cost architectural and planning services to low income individuals, community groups, service organizations and housing co-operative associations. Their work covered a broad spectrum of urban problems ranging from house renovations and child care centre design, to neighbourhood development corporations and large scale neighbourhood planning. The UDC operated from 1971 to 1976.
Showing 15998 resultsPeople and organizations
The Vancouver Area Council of the New Democratic Party was established in 1968 by the six provincial constituencies in Vancouver to involve the NDP directly in municipal politics. The VAC ran civic candidates in 1970, 1972, 1974. In the mid-1970s the VAC was, at times, in conflict with the Provincial Executive of the NDP as to civic election policy. The Vancouver Area Council was dissolved in 1976.
The Vancouver City Creche was established in 1910 by the Associated Charities to provide a daycare centre for the children of working women. In 1912 the Creche became a public institution under the Health Department and new quarters were provided. In 1917 the Creche building was transferred to the Infant's Hospital and Creche was moved into the former Old People's Home on Cambie Street. In 1932 the Creche was closed and the activities taken over by the foster home plan of the Vancouver Day Nursery Association.
The Vancouver Express was a temporary newspaper published by the newspaper employee's union during a suspension of operations at Pacific Press. The paper was published from February to May 1970.
The Vancouver Foundation was founded in 1943. Donations are made by the Foundation to community and charitable organizations within the Greater Vancouver area and, at times, outside of this area. The objectives of the organization are to provide care for the needy and to promote the advancement of human knowledge.
Frances L. Neth founded the Vancouver Girls' Corner Club in 1917 as a direct result of the Oliver Evangelistic Campaign of that year. Club activities included, outdoor excursions; classes in handicraft, culture and bookkeeping; and support of overseas missions. The movement grew to include, Victoria and Prince Rupert, British Columbia; Houston, Texas; and Los Angeles, California as sites for Girls' Corner Clubs. The Vancouver Girls' Corner Club was disbanded in 1958.
- Corporate body
The Vancouver Historical Society was originally founded as a branch of the British Columbia Historical Association in 1936, and later drafted its own constitution. Over the years, the Society has presented speakers, organized field trips, and undertaken various publications in accordance with its aim to promote local history.
The Vancouver Independent Progressives was a local political party which was formed in 1978 and ran candidates in the 1978 election. The party called for more accessibility and accountability at City Hall. It received 2.7 per cent of the popular vote and was subsequently disbanded.
The Vancouver Junior Chamber of Commerce was established in 1932 as the Vancouver Junior Chamber of Civic Affairs, changing its name to the Vancouver Junior Board of Trade in 1934, and to Vancouver Junior Chamber of Commerce in 1948. The organization is dedicated to leadership training for persons aged 18-40 through self-development and participation in community projects and fellowship activities. Originally aimed at young men, the organization accepted women into full membership in 1976. A women's auxiliary, the Jaycettes, was formed in 1947 to support the larger organization and to plan and execute various community projects. The local unit of Jaycees is a Charter Member of the Canadian Junior Chamber of Commerce and Junior Chamber International, and a member unit of the B.C. & Yukon Junior Chamber of Commerce (also known as Jaycees - Pacific Region). The Jaycees, in keeping with its mandate, requires its members to participate in committees that are organized into Commissions or areas of activity that are responsible to the organization's Executive. The detailed planning and execution of projects reflects their primary purpose for training leaders, as well as service to the community. Some of the organization's early projects include sponsorship of the Western Canada Air Show and promotion of tourism. Later projects include winter employment campaigns, campaigns for the beautification of Vancouver, and responsibility for the Miss Grey Cup Contest. Many of these projects were compiled as albums and entered in national Jaycee contests for outstanding projects. The organization also operated leadership training courses, including the Diploma Course in Executive Training in cooperation with the University of British Columbia.
The Vancouver Manx Society was established in 1908. The objectives of the society were to cultivate friendship among natives of the Isle of Man who had moved to North America, to foster the continuance of the Manx national spirit and to offer temporary aid when needed.
- Corporate body
The Vancouver Merchants' Exchange was incorporated in 1921. The Exchange united firms involved in shipping, import-export, marine insurance and related port activities. For the first ten years, the exchange acted as the single focal point of the industry, although various divisions were established according to specialized lines of business. Later, these divisions expanded and, in seeking greater autonomy to manage their own affairs, established separate associations which remained affiliated with the Exchange. These affiliate associations have included: Vancouver Grain Exchange, Chamber of Shipping of British Columbia, B.C. Towboat Owners' Association, Vancouver Grain Exports' Association, B.C. Terminal Operators' Association, and the Coastwise Operators' Association. The Vancouver Merchants' Exchange continued until 1975 when it was disbanded.
The Vancouver Military Rifle Association was formed by members of the Vancouver militia regiments (chiefly the 6th Regiment D.C.O.R.) to further competition in marksmanship. It appears to have been organized in 1896 by members of the No. 5 and No. 6 Companies, B.C. Brigade of Garrison Artillery, and appears not to have functioned after World War I.
In 1907, a number of Vancouver and district residents founded the Vancouver Naturalists' Field Club for the study of the natural history of the Lower Mainland. The first field trip was made to Kitsilano beach on 18 August. The club existed for only a few seasons. In 1918, members of the botanical section of the B.C. Mountaineering Club, led by Professor John Davidson (former Provincial Botanist), founded the Vancouver Natural History Society. Davidson organized popular evening botany classes for members of the society. The V.N.H.S. also developed a field trip program to sites of botanical interest such as Crescent Beach, and summer camps were established at Garibaldi, Botanie Valley (near Spences Bridge) and Skagit Valley, as well as several other locations. In an effort to make the Lower Mainland greener, local naturalists, including members of the Natural History Society, successfully campaigned for local arbour days. Yet the activities of the society have not focused only on botany. Field trips organized and led by Jack Armstrong, Bill Mathews and Charley Ney popularized the study of geology in the society. Members have also studied geology, entomology, ornithology, microscopy, and photography.
During recent decades the society has witnessed continued growth, as many members of the environmental movement have joined as a means of studying our natural heritage. In the 1960s, the Conservation Committee was established, which, in part, helped with the creation of the Reifel Bird Sanctuary in Delta, B.C. Another major project was the natural history study of Lighthouse Park, for which results were later published in “Nature West Coast.” During this time, participation in the Birding Section also increased resulting in projects such as local birding guides and observation data collected through the annual Christmas Bird Count. Over the next few decades, activities continued with field trips, summer camps, publications, programming and environmental and conservation initiatives. Organized tours around the province were incorporated into programming in the 1990s as well as the Young Naturalist Club. In 2002, the Marine Biology Section was formed. In 2007, the Vancouver Natural History Society changed its name to Nature Vancouver.
- Corporate body
The Vancouver Real Estate Board was established in March of 1888 as an association of real estate firms and salesmen, but was disbanded in June of that year.
The Vancouver Real Estate Exchange, formed in 1919, was not a continuation of the 1888 Board.
- Corporate body
The Vancouver Teachers' Association was formed in late 1914 and served as the civic voice for many teachers until 1930. The V.T.A. sought to create one large association, but the high school teachers formed their own independent group, the High School Teachers of the Lower Mainland. In 1930 the junior high school teachers withdrew to form their own group. In 1935, the secondary school teachers and the junior high teachers merged to form the Vancouver Secondary Teachers' Association. The body worked to assist teachers in professional development, political lobbying and wage discussions. The V.S.T.A. often worked in conjunction with the Vancouver Elementary School Teachers' Association.
The Vancouver Shakespeare Society was formed in 1916 to promote enjoyment of Shakespeare's works through readings, lectures, recitations and theatrical performances.
In the spring of 1888, an International Typographical Union charter was issued for the Vancouver Typographical Union, Local 226. The first officers of the Local were : W. M. Watters, president; Alex A. Anderson, vice-president; D. A. Monroe, treasurer; and J. W. Gunn, recording and financial secretary. The new Local soon passed a constitution, by-laws, and scale of prices. Local 226 has been at the forefront of organized labour in Vancouver. Late in 1888, the Union appointed a committee to consult other city labour organizations about forming a Trades and Labour Council. In 1893, the union also appointed a committee to organize country towns; in time locals were formed in New Westminster, Kamloops, Vernon, Rossland and several other communities. During the late 1960s and 1970s, in an effort to consolidate the organized printing trades in British Columbia, the Victoria, New Westminster, Kamloops, and Vernon locals were absorbed by Local 226 of the International Typographical Union.
In 1941, a group of women, concerned about the seeming apathy of women in public affairs, formed the Vancouver Women's School for Citizenship. The founders included Laura Jamieson, Evelyn LeSueur, Helena Gutteridge and others. The aim of the School was to better inform women of the problems and duties of citizenship. The School taught Parliamentary Procedure and public speaking, presented guest lecturers, arranged field trips, and held book review meetings. The School was disbanded in 1958, but book review activities continued under the name of the Vancouver Book Review Club.
J.T. Droy was an actor working in Vancouver.
Velma Kipp was born in Vancouver in 1908. She attended Florence Nightingale School and King Edward High School and studied one year at UBC. She became a teacher. She first taught at Heriot Bay on Quadra Island in 1927-1928. After teaching at various locations and marrying, Velma returned to Vancouver in 1946. Between 1910 and the 1930s she lived on Fifteenth Avenue off Kingsway.
Emil F. Voight was a mining engineer at Rossland and various other points in the Interior of British Columbia.
Following the outbreak of war in 1939, air raid precautions were established in various provinces under the Department of Health and administered by provincial officials. In British Columbia, the Volunteer Civilian Protection Committee was organized by Major S.F. Moodie and set up committees and training programs in major metropolitan areas. In August of 1940, this service was taken over by the Attorney-General's Department and expanded to cover the entire province. Classes were offered to train volunteers for auxiliary patrolling and fire-fighting forces and in first aid.
William L. Inglis was General Manager of the Vancouver International Airport from 1949 to 1976.
A railway enthusiast, Walter A. Grecula described the Great Northern Railway from Vancouver to the American boundary.
Walter E. Frost was born in Vancouver in 1898. After World War I he bought a Kodak roll film camera and began to photograph his city and the ships and trains that carry its life-blood. He was an avid amateur photographer interested in ships, trains, and the city of Vancouver. He stopped taking photographs in the mid 1970s. He died in 1988.
Walter Francis (Frank) Ing was born in 1881 or 1882 and died in November 1926 in Vancouver. He was with the North West Mounted Police, then moved to Vancouver in approximately 1918 and worked for the Canadian Bag Company. From 1920-1926 he was provincial secretary of the Retail Merchants' Association of Canada. His residences from 1920 until his death in 1926 were 820 Richards Street, 873 Seymour Street, and 3350 Manitoba Street. He was married to Grace Cornelia Ing (born Clinton, Ont., in 1906, died in Vancouver in February 1956).
Walter Robert Hamilton was born in Rawdon, Quebec, July 9, 1872. He travelled to the Yukon during the 1898 gold rush. He later joined the government service in the Yukon and remained there until about 1909. After moving to Vancouver, Hamilton served as an alderman from 1913 to 1918 and also as a police commissioner for that time. He also served on the Federal Milk Committee. He was a partner in several real estate and insurance agencies, primarily with Orr-Hamilton Ltd. He retired around 1945. He remained interested in mining and the development of the Yukon. He became President of the International Sourdoughs in 1960. He died March 23, 1964.
The Westcoast Transmission Company was incorporated in 1949 to extract and distribute natural gas and provide other energy services. Established by Frank McMahon, it had its headquarters in Vancouver. In 1988 the name of the company was changed to Westcoast Energy. By 2000, the company had five gas processing plants and three sulphur recovery plants. In March, 2002, Westcoast Energy was acquired by the U.S. company Duke Energy.
The Western Sports Centre, located at 111 Dunsmuir Street, first appears in the Vancouver Directory in 1938. In 1958, it relocated to 139 East Hastings Street, and in 1990, it was located at 801 East Hastings. During the period covered by these records, the Centre appears to have been a men's social club and gymnasium.
Whitford VanDusen was born in Tara, Ontario, and attended the University of Toronto. At university he met H. R. MacMillan, who encouraged him to study forestry. VanDusen graduated in Forestry in 1912. From 1913 through World War I, he worked as a forester for the British Columbia provincial government. In 1919, he joined the H. R. MacMillan Export Company as manager. From 1945 to 1949, VanDusen was Senior Vice President of the company and, following its merger with Bloedel, Stewart and Welch in 1949, was Vice-Chairman until 1955. He was on the Board of Directors of MacMillan Bloedel until his retirement in 1969. VanDusen was also involved in many philanthropic works, including establishing the Vancouver Foundation in 1943 and donating the purchase amount for the old Shaughnessy Golf Course, now VanDusen Botanical Gardens.
William Curtis Shelly was born in Ontario and moved to Vancouver in 1910 to expand his bakery business. He became involved in politics and was elected to the legislative assembly in 1928, serving as Minister of Finance in the Tolmie government.
- March 12, 1923 - June 7, 2014
William Eadington Graham was Director of Planning for the City of Vancouver from 1963-1973 and a planning consultant from 1973-1983.
William Sharp was a member of Division 320 of the Brotherhood of Railway Engineers, when the 50th anniversary of the first trans-continental train to reach Port Moody was celebrated.
William McNeill (1867-1960) came to B.C. in 1891. He worked in various provincial government offices, including treasury, mining, lands and works, for seven years. In 1898 he entered private business, becoming Vice-President of the Vancouver, Westminster and Yukon Railway, and secretary of the Stave Lake Power Company. Between 1904 and 1908 he negotiated and purchased right-of-way into Vancouver for Vancouver, Victoria and Eastern Railway. In 1908 he secured investments in Montreal and London to develop a power plant on the Stave River. The Stave Lake Power Company sold out to Western Canada Power Company in 1909 and McNeill became a director and manager of the company. McNeill was also a private secretary to John Hendry, President of B.C. Mills Timber and Trading Company (formed by the merger of Hastings Saw Mill and Royal City Planing Mills) and of the Vancouver, Westminster and Yukon Railway and other companies. Hendry had various investments in timber mills, railroads, mining and power plants, and McNeill served as his agent in many business transactions in B.C., Ontario and England. In 1898 McNeill married Minnie Jean Munsie of Victoria. In 1913 McNeill resigned his positions with Vancouver, Westminster and Yukon Railway.
William Olsen came to Vancouver around 1901 from England, where he had served in the merchant marine and had risen to Third Engineer. In Vancouver he became an industrial pattern maker.
William Walker Fraser was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 1869 and died in Vancouver in 1940. He married Barbara Ann Mitchell in 1895 in Cairnton, Banchory. They had four children, Hugh Mitchell, Gertie (Shand), Dorothy Isabella McKenzie, and Barbara Ann Law (Cusden). William Walker Fraser was a china buyer. It is not known when the family arrived in Vancouver. However, in 1913 he was employed as a salesman at P. Harris & Co. in Vancouver. By 1916 he was working at the Hudson's Bay Company. According to the B.C. Directory, Fraser moved from the West End where in 1913 he resided at 956 Nicola Street and in1916 at 1752 Davie Street to York Avenue in Kitsilano in1918. By 1919 he had moved to 2906 West 6th. Street. Eventually the family lived at 3687 West 16th. Avenue.
Wolverton and Company, a stock brokerage, was founded in Nelson, B.C. by Alfred Newton Wolverton. The firm moved to Vancouver in 1909 and was one of the first to be seated in the Vancouver Stock Exchange.