Knowlton's Drug Store was established in 1897 by Edmund S. Knowlton. He was Managing Director until 1944, when he was replaced by Bruce B. Knowlton. By 1948, the company had opened another drugstore in West Vancouver. In 1965 the store became known as Knowlans Drugs, but its original name was restored in 1970.
Showing 16114 resultsPeople and organizations
The Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale was originally incorporated under the Societies Act, on December 6, 1938, as the Kiwanis Club of Point Grey . It was part of the larger organization, Kiwanis International whose objectives are to provide service to society via its individual member groups. It is dedicated to "the application of higher social, business, and professional standards" (Kiwanis International Statement of Objectives). There is no evidence of disbandment of the Point Grey Club. The name/location change initiating the beginning of the Kiwanis Club of Kerrisdale occurred officially, under the same act on March 14, 1953. (Apparently after the name/location change, a second Point Grey Kiwanis Club was formed , known as the Kiwanis Club of West Point.) The Kiwanis Cub of Kerrisdale's service to the community consisted of donations to such bodies as the Alzheimer Association, Western Institution for the Deaf, BC Boys Choir and Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra, Westside Family Place, Boy Scouts, Canadian Mental Health, and the Salvation Army among others. They also supported higher education in the form of scholarship awards to secondary school and university students. These donations were accumulated through such fundraising efforts as their Annual Dog Shows. The club was part of the Pacific Northwest District of Kiwanis International and in 1948, the Kiwanis Club of Point Grey won the First Prize Achievement Award for that year in that division. The club held a formal celebration for its 50th. Anniversary in 1988. It disbanded on January 21, 1992.
The Kiwanis Club of Vancouver received its charter in 1919. Kiwanis was founded to meet the fellowship needs of business and professional men and to function primarily in service and goodwill. Since its inception, the Kiwanis Club of Vancouver has raised funds for the handicapped, aged, and needy, and sponsored other civic, cultural and social activities. In 1960, it assumed sponsorship of the B.C. Music Competition Festival.
Founded in 1892, the Knights of Pythias, Mount Pleasant Lodge No. 11, was a fraternal organization which promoted friendship, brotherhood and citizenship. Many charitable works were carried out by the lodge, especially for children and seniors. However, a lack of members brought about the disbandment of the Lodge in 1897. Interest in a Mount Pleasant Lodge was later revived and Lodge No. 11 was subsequently rechartered in 1903. The Lodge continued its operations until the 1970s.
The Ladies' Auxiliary of the Royal Canadian Legion, West End Branch 187 is a social organization involved in numerous community, charitable and social activities. The branch was established in 1947 to support disabled and ill veterans through visits and other donations. The English Bay Carnival, started in 1955, was one of the major events which involved the Auxiliary. In conjunction with the carnival, they organized the Miss English Bay Beauty Contest.
The Lady Vancouver Club is a non-profit organization founded in 1963 by a nucleus of women to further the cause of tourism in the city of Vancouver. As goodwill ambassadors of the Greater Vancouver Regional District, these volunteers work with Tourism Vancouver to promote activities and attractions in Vancouver and the lower mainland of the province.
An employee of the Li Shing College in Hong Kong until it closed on July 20, 1906, Lambert M. Sung was in Vancouver by 1914 or earlier. From these records it appears that Sung worked as a secretary at the Chinese Consulate and lived at the Methodist Chinese Mission. In addition to his consular work, Sung carried out Chinese-English translations.
Leon Koerner was born in Moravia in 1892. In 1920 he became a partner, along with his brothers, in the family firm, J. Koerner Timber Industry. Leon married Thea Rosenquist, an actress from Vienna, in 1921. Following a trip to Vancouver in 1939, and because of the war in Europe, Leon and Thea settled in British Columbia. The Leon and Thea Koerner Foundation was established in 1955 by Leon and Thea Koerner to contribute to the educational, social, and cultural development in British Columbia and Canada.
Leonard Dobbin was a pioneer British Columbian aviator who together with his brother Edward C.W. Dobbin founded Dominion Airways Limited in 1927. In 1929 Dobbin, in partnership with Norman Alfred Yarrow of the Victoria shipbuilding firm Yarrows Limited, founded the Yarrows Aircraft Corporation Limited, which then took over Dominion Airways. Both firms failed to survive the depression.
The Little Mountain Area Human Resources Society was incorporated in 1976. Operating as a community organization under the Vancouver Resources Board, its mandate was to increase public involvement in the delivery of social services by having neighbourhood committees participate in identifying social problems and solutions and recommending funding grants to various agencies in the community. The Society also acted as an ombudsman for individuals and client organizations.
Littler and Sons (Iron and Brass Works) was founded in 1932 by Henry J. Littler, a former manager of the Terminal City Iron Works, in partnership with Kenneth H. Littler and Gordon B. Littler. The firm's name disappeared from the Vancouver City Directory after 1963.
The Lower Kitsilano Ratepayers' Association was incorporated in 1953. The aim of the organization was to encourage the general improvement of Lower Kitsilano. Its mandate of protecting and promoting the community was manifested largely in the Association's activities to prevent the encroachment of industry into the area.
Lois Kerr is a Vancouver composer and song writer.
The Lytton Hotel was located in Lytton, B.C.
In 1898, J.P. Nicholls and C.H. Macauley began a partnership in the real estate and insurance business. They were joined by Ronald M. Maitland, who became a partner in 1920. Over the years, the firm offered many forms of specialized real estate, insurance and financial management services.
MacMillan Bloedel Place was a forest information centre located in the VanDusen Botanical Display Gardens in Vancouver. MacMillan Bloedel proposed the centre in 1973, and the proposal received Parks Board approval in 1974. The design architect of the building was Paul Merrick of Berwick, Pratt and Partners. The building received a Canadian Architects Yearbook Award of Excellence in 1974. The Centre closed in 1986.
Madill Garage Co. was opened in 1922 by J.E. Madill, previously proprietor of Reliable Transfer Co. at 365 Cordova St. Located at 660 Howe St. the garage acted as a gas station and storage facility for automobiles. On January 1, 1940, Madill sold the company to William Ellis Warren, an employee of Madill Garage, and Dr. J. Reeves, and subsequently retired. It appears that due to mounting debt the company closed down at the end of 1942.
Maraquita Walters was the daughter of Walter C. Nichol, a Vancouver businessman and one-time lieutenant-governor of British Columbia.
Margaret A. Mitchell was born in Ontario and came to Vancouver in the mid-1950s. During the 1970s and 1980s she was was employed as a community development worker with the Neighbourhood Services Association and was also active in a number of other organizations, including the Strathcona Property Owners and Tenants Association, Adanac Co-operative Association, Britannia Community Services Centre and the Unemployed Citizens' Welfare Improvement Council. From 1979 to 1993 Ms. Mitchell was the New Democratic Party MP for Vancouver East.
Margaret Bulman was a seamstress at a Vancouver factory who also ran a boarding house in Vancouver.
Marguerite Britton was a researcher for a Vancouver Museum display on stained glass windows in 1979. During the course of her study, she collected information on the Knox United Church chancel window and also on Manitoban painters Charles Hatch and Victor Long, who both worked in Vancouver.
In 1910, the Convention of Baptists of British Columbia were engaged in establishing churches in various new districts of the rapidly growing city of Vancouver. On 7 June 1911, a group of Baptist believers in the Eburne district met and formed the first Eburne Baptist Church.
In 1945, the Boilermakers and Iron Shipbuilders Union of Canada, Local No. 1, the Dock and Shipyard Workers Union, and the Shipwrights, Joiners and Calkers Industrial Union, Local No. 1 joined together to form the Marine Workers and Boilermakers Industrial Union, Local No. 1.
The Marpole Business Association promotes Marpole businesses through Marpole Pioneer Days.
Mary Gruchy was born in Nova Scotia. She began an association with John Davidson, the British Columbia Provincial Botanist, who started the office in 1912, at night school, and maintained a personal friendship with his family for many years. He hired her as stenographer when he opened the Provincial Botanical Office and Gardens, but she soon became the Herbarium Assistant. The offices were located in downtown Vancouver, then later at the Fairview Campus of the University of British Columbia, while the garden was located at Essondale. Mary Gruchy remained Mr. Davidson's Herbarium Assistant until her retirement in 1957.
The Vancouver Daily Province Pioneer's Certificate was awarded to Mrs. Mary A. Spillman in 1889 for being a regular reader of the newspaper for 35 years.
Doris Mary Pack was born 8 October, 1904, in Ampthill, Bedfordshire, England, where she completed her early education. In 1922, at the age of 18, she emigrated to Canada with her family. She completed an undergraduate degree at the University of British Columbia and received a teaching certificate from Provincial Normal School. She began her teaching career in Vancouver in 1936 and in 1940 was appointed to the Vancouver School Board as teacher to students whose physical disabilities made travel to school an impossibility. It was during this period that Miss Pack became interested in the plight of those affected by diseases such as arthritis and rheumatism. Between 1943 and 1947 she began actively researching these afflictions, determining that little was known about or being done to develop treatments, cures, or awareness in the public at large. She organized a letter-writing campaign, targetting newspapers, universities, medical groups, and governments. As a result, the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society (C.A.R.S.) was formed in 1947. Mary Pack quit teaching to take on the full-time position as Executive Director of the B.C. Division of C.A.R.S., a post she held from 1948-1969. After retiring from the position, she remained active as a volunteer with the organization for many years. For her humanitarian achievements, Mary Pack has been awarded an impressive list of honours, including the Queen Elizabeth medal, 1953; the Order of Canada, 1974; Vancouver's Freedom of the City award, 1979; and was the first women to receive the Royal Bank award in 1976 for her outstanding contribution to humanity and common good. She was granted an honorary Doctor of Law degree from the University of British Columbia in 1973. Pack has also authored an autobiography entitled "Never Surrender", which was published in 1974 by Mitchell Press. Mary Pack died in 1992.
Mr. and Mrs. Horner were residents of the Kitsilano area for 40 years, from the 1920s to the 1960s.