Showing 15625 resultsPeople and organizations
John N. M. Allan grew up in West Vancouver in the 1930s. As a teenager, he attended West Vancouver High School, worked for the Campbell River Timber Company and joined Camp Elphinstone.
Oscar Bruce Allan was born in 1878 in Guelph, Ontario. He moved to Vancouver in 1897, where he was employed by George. E. Trory, jeweler and watchmaker. O.B. Allan opened his first jewelry store in 1904 at the corner of Granville and Pender Streets. In 1910 or 1911 the store was moved temporarily to 581 Granville (at Dunsmuir); in 1912 it was moved back to Granville and Pender into the newly-built Rogers Building. The business manufactured and sold jewelry, especially diamonds. O.B. Allan died in 1966, leaving the business to his son, also named Oscar Bruce Allan. The latter retired in 1973.
Worked as a photographer for the Vancouver Sun.
Eileen Allen was a commercial photographer working in Vancouver, B.C. in the middle part of the 20th century.
Silas Herbert Allen was born in 1861 and on January 1, 1900 married Alice McLaren in Vancouver. A daughter Violet was born at home, 777 Princess Street, on May 12, 1902. Silas Allen died at the age of 60 in 1921.
John F. Allison and Edgar M. Allison pre-empted 640 acres of land at the junction of the Similkameen River and Nicola Creek. Susan Moir, later married to John F. Allison, was considered by some to be the first white woman in the Okanagan.
Susan Louisa Allison (nee Moir) was born in Ceylon. Her family moved back to England and then to Hope, British Columbia. After her marriage to John Fall Allison in 1868, she settled near Princeton, where Allison ranched, trapped, mined, and kept a trading post. Susan Allison worked with her husband for many years, and continued to manage their cattle ranch after his death in 1897. She composed poetry, native Indian tales, short stories, and a series of newspaper articles, "Early History of Princeton". Her recollections were written after she moved to Vancouver in 1928.