Showing 16114 resultsPeople and organizations
Elizabeth Dewar was a deaconess at Christ Church Cathedral in 1942.
In 1972, John Fraser, Progressive Conservative, was elected as a Member of Parliament for Vancouver South. Subsequently he served on several committees, and was appointed Official Opposition Environmental Critic and Chairman of the P.C. Causus Environmental Committee. Mr. Fraser was re-elected in the 1974 election.
John Frederick Morgan immigrated from Wales to Vancouver at the turn of the 20th century and became an employee of the B.C. Electric Railway Company.
John James Lennie (1870-1960) was born in England and came to Canada in the 1890s. He was a masseur and started a Turkish bath in Ottawa. He became known to various Members of Parliament and his family attended many functions held for the staff and servants of Government House and the House of Commons. The family moved to Vancouver in 1912. Lennie became a constable for the Canadian Pacific Railway Company.
John Kemtz was a Vancouver resident who correspondended with various friends and relatives in the Ukrainian communities in Saskatoon and Manitoba, and to friends and relatives in Eastern Europe.
John Monk worked as a Personnel Technician in the Recruitment, Testing and Selection Division of the Personnel Department of the City of Vancouver.
John Hugh Roberts arrived in Vancouver in 1885. He was a house builder and was involved in purchasing city lots for development and re sale. Roberts' family included his wife Anne, two daughters, and a son. His son was Vancouver artist Tomhu (Tomtu) Huron Roberts.
John Leask was a C.P.R. officer, one of the group who surveyed the C.P.R. Grant, the centre of the city from English Bay to Hastings. After the Vancouver fire of 13 June 1886 the group immediately re-surveyed the Granville townsite.
J.P. Matheson and Son was an architectural firm established in Vancouver in 1912.
John Browning, born in 1892 to a clergyman, was raised on Norfolk Island in the South Pacific. Later, he went to Alberta, where he homesteaded and worked on railway construction projects and in sawmills. After the Second World War, Browning and his family moved to British Columbia, settling in the Wilson Creek area near Gibsons.
John Scott Mitchell was a consultant employed by the Master Planning Project Team of Vancouver International Airport in 1975 to collect data on the history of Vancouver International Airport.
On June 1, 1927 a Junior Service Club was formed in Vancouver with the objective of establishing a program of volunteer service based on standards which would qualify the club for membership in the Association of Junior Leagues of America. Four years later the club was elected to membership in the AJLA and Kathleen Farrell became the first president of the Junior League of Vancouver. The League was incorporated under the Societies Act of British Columbia in 1936. In 1948 the League set up an office and clubroom in the Ritz Apartment Hotel at 1040 West Georgia Street, remaining there until taking up new quarters in the early 1950s at the YWCA at 997 Dunsmuir Street. In addition to volunteer services in the fields of health and welfare and the arts, the League established community projects initiated after consultation with professional workers and other groups in the community. To finance both the volunteer program and projects, the League sponsored various fundraising activities, including cabarets or follies, fashion shows, designer home events and world affairs dinners. In 1985 the League became a tenant at Heritage Hall at 3102 Main Street, and on February 10, 1989 it officially changed its name to the Junior League of Greater Vancouver. Over the seven decades of community involvement the League received numerous citations and recognitions, most notably from the Government of Canada, Government of British Columbia, City of Vancouver and Simon Fraser University. On May 8, 2003 the League marked its closing after almost 75 years of service with a final celebraton. Its legacy of funding new and innovative projects continues through the League's endowment fund at the Vancouver Foundation.
Karl Koenig, born about 1910 in Germany, was a Vancouver boatbuilder who wrote poetry during his travels around B.C. during the depression in the 1930s.
Kenneth Percy Caple (1903- ) is a native of Vancouver, B.C. He holds a B.A. and M.S.A. from the University of British Columbia and has done post-graduate studies at Cornell, Stanford and London. He served as principal of Summerland High School (1927-1938) and was director of school broadcasts for the British Columbia Ministry of Education from 1940 to 1944. In 1947 he was made regional director of the C.B.C., a position he held until 1968. After his retirement from the C.B.C., Caple served as Chancellor and Chairman of the Board of Governors of Simon Fraser University. He was married on the 6 April 1931 to E. Beatrix Clegg and has three children.
King Edward High School in Vancouver, at the corner of Cambie and Dunsmuir, operated from 1890 to 1962. The King Edward Alumni Association represented students who attended the high school during these years.
E. Keith Winterbottom was a Royal Canadian Air Force draftsman.
The Kitsilano Chamber of Commerce was founded by local businessmen in 1935 as the Kitsilano Commercial and Development Society to promote business and community activity in the Kitsilano area. For many years, the Chamber sponsored the Kitsilano Showboat, a program of free public entertainment. The Chamber also carried out various charity projects and participated in community projects such as the beautification of West Broadway in the 1970's. The Kitsilano Chamber of Commerce merged with the Kitsilano Business Association under the name and constitution of the Kitsilano Chamber of Commerce in 1980.
The King Edward High School Literary and Athletic Association was established in 1912.
The Kitsilano War Memorial Community Centre Association was incorporated in 1947 to develop a community centre.
The Kitsilano Yacht Club was founded in Vancouver in 1934. Permission to establish the club at its present site was given by the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation in 1937. The club is the most active One-Design, International, and Olympic Class sailboat racing organization in Vancouver. For several years, the club has organized training programs for both adults and juniors.
When the Kitsilano Community Resources Board disbanded in 1976, a group of citizens formed the Kitsilano Community Forum. The organization served as a forum for discussion of community concerns, provided a liaison between community groups, and brought the concerns of local citizens to the attention of the appropriate bodies. The Forum disbanded in 1978.
The Kitsilano Information Centre opened its doors in 1969 under the auspices of the Kitsilano Area Resources Association (KARA). The Centre's mandate was to provide information about community services and to work at advocating community needs. KARA changed its name to the Kitsilano Information Centre Society in 1974. The Information Centre shared space for some years with the Kitsilano Planning Centre, a project of the Kitsilano Area Resources Council (KARC). KARC's objectives lay in the area of defining community needs and enlarging community involvement in local issues, especially in neighbourhood planning.
Kiwanis Club of West Point was founded in 1947 and disbanded sometime in the late 1960s, early 1970s.