Showing 71 results

People and organizations
Family

Jamison family, James

  • Family

James Jamison (obit. 1891), his wife Jennie, and seven children: Walter, James, Robert, Amanda, Eliza, Maud and Harriet, were pre-emptors of a farm located five miles from the town of Princeton on the banks of the Similkameen River. The family became involved in a lawsuit concerning title to the property in 1919.

Buscombe family

  • Family

Frederick, George, and Charles Buscombe were Vancouver businessmen and public officials.
Frederick Buscombe (1862-1938) was born in Bodmin, England, and moved to Vancouver with his brother George in 1891 to set up a branch of the Jas. A. Skinner Company, a wholesale china and glassware business. He bought out the business in 1899, and was also involved in other businesses, including: Pacific Coast Lumber and Sawmills Co. Ltd.; the Pacific Marine Insurance Co., and Buscombe Securities Corporation. He served as President of the Vancouver Board of Trade from 1900-1901, President of the Vancouver Tourist Association for 1901, and was the Mayor of Vancouver from 1905-1906.
George Buscombe (1875-1958) was born in Hamilton, Ontario, and moved to Vancouver in 1891 with his brother Frederick. He began his career with the Jas. A. Skinner Company, and later became Vice-President, then General Manager of the Frederick Buscombe Co. Ltd. He also served as a Vancouver alderman from 1939-1945.
Charles Buscombe (1880-1947) was born in Hamilton, Ontario, and moved to Vancouver in 1907 to join the family business. He later became in importer of glassware and crockery.

Carnwath-Anderson family

  • Family

The Carnwath family was one of Vancouver's early families. Charles H. Carnwath, originally from New Brunswick, lived in Vancouver from the 1880s and owned one of the first lumber companies in the city. Charles' wife, Phoebe Stewart, was from San Francisco. Charlotte Ferne Carnwath, one of their five daughters, married William Scott Anderson, a C.P.R. Ticket Office Clerk, and son of William and Matilda Anderson, also early Vancouver residents who originally came from the Barony in New Brunswick. Charlotte and William Scott Anderson resided at 5463 Larch Street.

Goepel family

  • Family

The Philip Dorset Goepel family was from Islington, Middlesex, England and Victoria, B.C.

Grimmett family

  • Family

The Grimmett family lived in Vancouver.

Hill family

  • Family

The Hill family were Loyalists who came to Cape Breton Island from Boston. Albert J. Hill and Arthur Edmund Hill, the sons of J. L. Hill, came to B.C. in 1880 to work for the CPR. They were associated with surveys and construction in the Interior and on Vancouver Island, with the Coquitlam Water Works Company, and with New Westminster projects. In 1890 A.E. Hill was appointed superintendent of waterworks for New Westminster. In turn, he was associated with the Vancouver, Victoria and Eastern Railway, the Nicola, Kamloops and Similkameen Railway, the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, and the British Columbia Electric Railway. He died in 1921. His widow and daughter corresponded with family members in Eastern Canada, and both were very active in the Presbyterian Women's Missionary Society.

Pierce family, Osborne J.

  • Family

Osborne J. Pierce was born in Albion, Maine on March 8, 1839. He spent most of his life in Albion up until 1856, when he took some odd jobs in La Porte City, Iowa and Mankato and St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1858 he returned to Maine, where he taught school in Winslow and Albion. In 1860, Pierce left for Boston, Massachusetts, where he set up a sign painting business. After the outbreak of the American Civil War Pierce went to Albion to volunteer for service; he was appointed a recruiting officer in 1862. He was organized into the 24th Main Regiment, Company G on September 17th. In January 1863, he was appointed 6th Corporal of Company G, and in April he was promoted to Sergeant Major of the regiment. On December 30, 1863, after a brief break in service, Pierce entered U.S. Service as a 1st Sergeant, and he held this position until the close of the war. At the end of 1865, Pierce purchased a publishing business in Boston, moving it to Waterville in May 1866. On April 24, 1866, Pierce married Caroline Little Twitchell (b. February 24, 1847?, d. 1936) of Bethel, Maine. The couple had two children, Annie Louise (b. June 9, 1867, d. December 21, 1928) and Winifred Mabel (b. August 15, 1872, d. April 2, 1919). Annie Louise married Louis Denison (L.D.) Taylor on May 26, 1892. Together they had two sons, Theodore Pierce Taylor and Kenneth Osborne Taylor.

The Pierces lived in Waterville until May 1868, during which time Pierce added photographic portraiture and stereoscopic views of scenery to his business. In 1866, Pierce had taken courses in architecture in Worcester and taught drawing at the School of Mechanics. Upon moving to Worcester Massachusetts in June 1868, Pierce became engaged in architecture, first with the office of E. Boyden & Son in July 1868, then as a partner with A.P. Cutting Architects in May 1969, followed by a short partnership with E.L. Angell. In May 1872, Pierce left for Northampton, where he worked for Mr. W.F. Pratt, Architect, until March 31, 1873. Pierce then fell under the employ of Bradlee and Winslow Architects of Boston between April 1873 and April 1874. During this time he was appointed a Teacher of Drawing in Chelsea Free Evening Drawing School and the Drawing School for Public School Teachers. In September 1874, Pierce was hired by the City of Chicago to introduce the Walter Smith System of Drawing into the public school system. Upon completion of the contract in July 1875, he was hired as the Superintendent of Drawing for the City of Chicago Department of Public Instruction. After the completion of the contract in July 1976, Pierce taught art privately at Bryants Business College and the Chicago Academy of Design; he also designed furniture and decorative pieces and engaged in various commercial enterprises.

Between 1878-and 1880, Pierce worked as a draftsman and superintendent for several Chicago Architects. From 1879 to 1881, he worked for E.S. [Jamison] Architects and then for two or three other architects until June 1882 when he opened his own office at 155 La Salle Street, which he maintained until at least 1889. Types of buildings that Pierce designed include a school, warehouse, store, bank, houses, library room, office, and a livery stable. Pierce practiced in Chicago until 1894 and then lived in Oak Park, Illinois from 1895-1897. Moving back to Chicago in 1899, he worked for Frost & Granger as Superintendent of Construction and, in 1901, he became a Superintendent for Patton & Miller and then S.S. Beeman. Between January and October 1902, Pierce worked for Grace & [Lloyde] of Chicago and New York as the Inspector of Granite for the LaSalle Street Terminal Union Station this involved work in Hardwick and Northfield, Vermont. Osborne and Caroline Pierce moved to Redlands, California in November 1902. Pierce opened an architectural office there in January 1903. In October 1904, the family moved to Los Angeles so that Pierce could pursue a job as a draftsman. In 1906, Annie, Theodore and Kenneth Taylor joined the Pierces in Los Angeles. While living in Los Angeles, Pierce was a member of the South Hollywood Improvement Association. He died on January 11, 1912.

Taylor family, Louis Denison

  • Family
  • 1847-1946

Louis Denison (L.D.) Taylor (1857-1946) served eight terms as Mayor of Vancouver. He was elected to office in 1911, 1915, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1930 and 1932, and held the position for a total of eleven years.

L.D. was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, to Gustavus and Amy (nee Denison) Taylor ([1822]-1904). He had one sibling, Kate ([1850]-1931), who married Eugene Cooley (1849-1938) in 1871, and moved to Lansing, Michigan in 1872. Amy Taylor later joined her daughter in Lansing.

After graduating from high school, and working in various positions in Ann Arbor, L.D. Taylor moved to Chicago in 1891 to work for the Wabash Railroad. In Chicago, he met Annie Louise Pierce ([1867]-1928), the daughter of architect and American Civil War veteran Osborne J. Pierce ([18--]- 1912) and his wife Caroline ([1847]-1936). The Pierce s had another daughter, Winifred ([1872]-1919), a school teacher. Annie and L.D. were married on May 26, 1892.

In August 1896, L.D. was arrested for charges of embezzlement relating to his partnership in the North and Taylor Bank on West Madison Avenue in Chicago, and fled north to Canada. He arrived in Vancouver, on September 8, 1896.

Shortly after L.D. s departure, Annie gave birth to their first child, Theodore (Ted) Pierce Taylor (1896-1963). Annie and Ted did not join L.D. in Vancouver until 1901, when L.D. was managing the Circulation Department of the Daily Province. The following year, a second son, Kenneth (Ken) (1902-[19--]) was born.

In 1905, L.D. purchased The Vancouver Daily World newspaper. Although he lost the paper due to financial difficulties in 1915, he continued to publish various political and mining-related newspapers until the late 1930s.

In 1906, L.D. and Annie separated and she and the children went to live with Osborne and Caroline, who had moved to Los Angeles. They formally divorced in 1916, and L.D. married Alice Helena Berry ([1871]-1919), former Managing Director of The World. After Alice s death, L.D. never re-married.

Following in their father s footsteps, Ted and Ken both entered the newspaper/press business in Los Angeles. In the early 1920s, Ken was an editor at the Los Angeles Times. Ted was working for the Los Angeles Record and was a partner in the Los Angeles Press Service. Prior to that, he had also worked for the Times and had been a Hollywood press agent for a few years. After a brief marriage to Ruth Wing, Ted left for Paris in 1925, where he married Mary Beaton ([1906]-1925), daughter of Octavia Beaton (d. 1946), and worked for the Paris Times. Later that year, Ted and Mary had a daughter, Mary Louise (1925-[199-?]). Mary passed away as a result of complications during childbirth. Ted moved back to California with Mary Louise in 1928 and continued working as a journalist in Hollywood and Los Angeles. Mary Louise Taylor had a daughter and two sons, including Roy Denison Werbel.

During the Second World War, Ken was stationed at Camp Santa Anita in Arcadia California and Fort Lewis, Washington and worked on the camp newspapers. After the war, he continued his career as a journalist and lived in Seattle for a period of time.

Ledingham family

  • Family

The Ledingham family lived in Vancouver and owned a general contracting firm, G.W. Ledingham & Company.

MacLean family, Murdoch

  • Family

Murdoch MacLean followed the gold rush from 1898-1900. In 1900, he married Martha Munn, of Portage La Prairie, in Victoria. In 1907, MacLean was working as a baker in Vancouver. In 1934, he was a Managing Director of F. V. Sugar Beet Holding. MacLean's son, Lauchlan (Lauchie), was an employee of Canadian Pacific Airlines from 1950-1970.

Malkin family

  • Family

The Malkin family resided in England during the last half of the nineteenth century. James Malkin (1828-1894) was in the pottery business. In 1884, two of his younger sons, James Frederic (1864-1950) and William Harold (1868-1959) emigrated to Canada and came to Vancouver in 1894 and 1895 respectively. They were joined by their mother, Ann Elizabeth Malkin (1832-1919) and brother, John Philip Davey (1878-1952) in 1881. The brothers became involved in the wholesale merchandise business, and in 1897 W. H. Malkin purchased Osmund Akrine and Company, a general merchandise business. He and his brothers operated the company, W. H. Malkin & Company, until 1938, when it was sold to Western Grocers Limited. The family was also active in community affairs. W. H. Malkin served as the Mayor of Vancouver from 1928 to 1930. J. P. D. Malkin acted as the Director of the War Assets Corporation during World War II.

McCleery family

  • Family

Fitzgerald McCleery and his brother, Samuel, came to B.C. to join their uncle, Hugh McRoberts, who in 1862 transferred 160 acres of land on the north side of the north arm of the Fraser River (District Lot 315) to Fitzgerald. Samuel McCleery also bought property in the area (District Lot 316). The McCleerys were the first settlers in the area that eventually became the City of Vancouver.

McFarlane family

  • Family

The McFarlane family lived in Vancouver.

McGeer family

  • Family

Gerald Gratton McGeer (1888-1947) was born in Winnipeg in 1888. He moved with his family to B.C. four years later, where he attended public schools and, later, Dalhousie Law School. He was called to the Bar of B.C. in 1915. After four years as an MLA in the B.C. Legislature (1916-1920), McGeer resigned. In 1925, he was elected as MP to the House of Commons. In 1933, he returned to the west and was reelected to the B.C. Legislature. The following year he became Mayor of Vancouver (full dates as mayor are 1935-1936, 1947). In 1940, he was reelected to the House of Commons. Upon his retirement five years later, he was appointed to the Senate. He died in 1947 within months of being reelected Mayor of Vancouver. In 1917, he married Charlotte Emma Spencer of Victoria. They had two children, Patricia (b. 1921) and Michael (b. 1922).

McGlashan family

  • Family

The McGlashan family came to Vancouver from Scotland via New Brunswick. James Stanley McGlashan was a manager for several Vancouver buildings, including the Marine Building, from the 1930s to the 1950s. During World War II, he served as a Lieutenant-Colonel in the Vancouver Detachment of the Canadian Red Cross Corps.

McGuigan family

  • Family

Thomas Francis McGuigan (1860-1910) and his brother William Joseph arrived in Vancouver from Ontario in 1886. Both signed the petition for the incorporation of Vancouver and became involved in local civic and political affairs. William Joseph (1853-1908), a doctor, was appointed City Coroner in 1886, served on the Hospital Board, and was elected alderman in 1892 and 1898-1903 and mayor in 1904. Thomas became City Clerk, 1886-1905, and was elected Alderman in 1906. A third brother, James (1856-1920), arrived in 1893 and shortly thereafter became chairman of the B.C. Electric Co. Employees' Committee. His eldest son, William Joseph "Bill" McGuigan (1887-1961), founded the Grouse Mountain Scenic Incline Railway Co. in 1911 and was Market Commissioner of Vancouver, 1932-1951.

McKinley family

  • Family

The McKinley family lived in Vancouver.

McQueen family

  • Family

James McQueen and his family came to Vancouver from Dundas, Ontario, in 1891. McQueen, a businessman, served as alderman on City Council, 1897-1900 and 1902-03. His brother-in-law, Dr. James Wetham, built Wetham Block at the northeast corner of Cambie and Cordova Streets. He also established one of the first private boys' schools in B.C., in 1891, but it was unsuccessful and closed in 1893. McQueen's son, George, was a barrister and served for several years as a police magistrate and member of the Police Commission until his death in 1944. McQueen's daughter, Kate (1884-1982), graduated from McGill University (B.C. branch) in 1908 and taught English at King Edward High School until her retirement in 1944. She was active in many women's groups, serving as President of the University Women's Club, 1912-13. Miss McQueen was also an avid hiker.

McRoberts family

  • Family

Hugh McRoberts (1814-1883), a native of Belfast, was the first white settler of Sea Island. He purchased a farm there in ca.1861 after working on the Cariboo Road and pursuing careers in California and Australia. He later sold his farm and moved to New Westminster, where he established a dairy business. His daughter, Jennie (1841-1931), born in Australia, joined him at Yale in 1860 and moved with him to the Sea Island farm. In 1864 she married a Victoria City Councilman, Charles Edward Bunting (1828-1890), a native of Saint John, New Brunswick.

Miller family

  • Family

Jonathan Miller (1834-1914) was born in Melbourne, Ontario, and married Margaret Springer in 1855. He left for B.C. in 1862, with his brother-in-law, Benjamin Springer, for the Cariboo Gold Rush. His wife, Margaret, and children joined him in 1864. During that same year, he became a member of the New Westminster City Council. In 1871 he was appointed Granville townsite's first constable and government agent. In 1886, Miller became Vancouver's first postmaster, a position he held until 1909, when he retired at the age of 75.

Mitchell-Dwelly family

  • Family

William and Ethel Mitchell-Dwelly lived in Vancouver until 1948, when they moved to North Vancouver. Interested in local history, they kept a variety of notes and clippings related to North Vancouver history. In World War II, William served with the Canadian Army, and during this time, Ethel lived in a boarding house run by Elizabeth Aston.

Munro family

  • Family

J.R. Munro came to British Columbia in 1888, and ran a contracting business in White Rock ca. 1920. His son, Donald G. Munro, served as postmaster of White Rock ca. 1968.

Nightingale family, John P.

  • Family

John P. Nightingale (d. 1938) and Ida Burritt were married in Vancouver in 1896. Nightingale was a wholesale and retail grocer who operated in Vancouver. He and his wife were both residents of Mount Pleasant, later moving to South Vancouver and then Burnaby.

Etches family

  • Family

R.C. Etches was born in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, in 1742. As a merchant shipowner, he realized the great commercial advantages to be obtained in the northwest and instructed his captains to establish a fur trading post and settlement at Nootka Sound. In 1788 he formed a joint stock company with his brother John. Four of his vessels were seized by the Spanish in 1789. Following this incident, R.C. Etches turned his attention to adventures in other parts of the world, working as an intelligence agent during the revolutionary wars.

Oppenheimer family

  • Family

The Oppenheimer brothers, Godfrey, Charles, David (1834-1897) and Isaac (d. 1922), were born in Frankfurt, moving to Victoria, B.C., ca. 1858. They then moved to Yale and established a firm that outfitted and supplied miners and mining camps. In 1862 Charles joined Moberly and Lewis to build a section of the Cariboo road. By 1863, the Oppenheimers had returned to Victoria. In 1885 David and Isaac moved to Vancouver and played a part in the incorporation of the city. They also established the first wholesale grocery operation on the mainland of B.C., in a warehouse located on the Southeast corner of Powell St. and Columbia Ave. Both were elected aldermen for Ward Five in the City's second Council; in 1888 David was elected mayor and Isaac re-elected an alderman. David was re-elected three times, resigning in 1891. In 1889, the brothers formed a company with Ben Douglas, J.R. Webster and H.V. Edmonds that secured a provincial charter to build an electric railway, a work which was completed in 1892.

Plunkett-Taaffe family

  • Family

Accounts of two Irish families, Plunkett and Taaffe, written in the late 19th century by family members who had already settled in Canada.

Pollay family

  • Family

The Pollay family lived in Vancouver, where George Pollay served as the city's first librarian from 1888-1890.

Quine family

  • Family

Various members of the Quine family were early immigrants to Canada and New Zealand.
Radcliffe Quine (1826-1885) was a native of the Isle of Man who emigrated to America in 1844. After travelling extensively, he moved to Victoria, B.C., for the 1858 Gold Rush, and later moved to Seattle.
Francis and Mary Quine, brother and sister-in-law to Radcliffe Quine, emigrated to Kamloops in the early 1880s.
Another brother, Frederick Quine, moved to Point Levy, Canterbury Province, New Zealand by 1885.
Derril Quine, another relation, moved to the United States in 1885.

Randall family

  • Family

The Randalls came from England to settle in Oregon before 1870. One son, Squire Jones Randall, visited Moodyville several times and settled there permanently in 1881. He was master-mechanic at Moodyville Sawmills and in 1882 installed electric light at the mill.

Salsbury family

  • Family

William Ferriman Salsbury (1847-1938) was a native of Surrey, England. He came to Canada in 1870 and was involved in the management of the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada until 1881, when he joined the financial staff of the Canadian Pacific Railway. He came west to Port Moody and served as treasurer of the Pacific Division of the CPR from 1886 to 1912. In Vancouver he served as alderman for Ward I, in 1893-1894, and was involved in many community projects. His son, Frederick Thurston Salsbury (1880-1953) served as manager of the Bank of British North America in Dawson, Yukon, for many years. After his return to Vancouver, Frederick Salsbury took an active interest in sports, especially cricket and rowing.

Simson family

  • Family

Calvert Simson, born in Penrith, England, in 1862, left London in 1883 and sailed to Victoria, arriving in 1884. From Victoria he went to New Westminster, where he worked as a night watchman for the Dominion Sawmill. He worked as a shopkeeper on the beach in Granville and later as a storekeeper at Hastings Sawmill until 1891. He was also Granville's last postmaster, from 1884 to 1886. Simson managed the Chandlery Department of T. Dunn and Co. from 1893 to 1902. In 1902 he moved to the Ship Chandlery Department of Boyd Burns Co. In 1908, Simson and Arthur Balkwill opened up their own company, Simson-Balkwill Co. Ltd. Ship Chandlery and Engineering Supplies. They remained in business until 1929 when they sold their interest to Gordon and Belyea Ltd. Simson died in 1958. Jean Chrow, sister of Calvert Simson, married William Chrow. She died March 4, 1948. Gordon Simson is the son of Calvert Simson.

Southcott family

  • Family

John James Southcott (d. 1933) was a native of Plymouth, England. He emigrated to London, Ontario, where he married Annie Caldwell in 1874. The Southcotts settled in Vancouver in 1889. J.J. Southcott operated a wholesale tea business.

Twigge family

  • Family

Members of the Twigge family, Major-General John Twigge and his brother Samuel Knox Twigge, came to Canada in 1887 and to Vancouver before 1891. They were the sons of Captain John Twigge of Dublin. Mrs. S.K. Twigge and her two daughters came to Vancouver in 1891. They lived in a house on Pender Street, jointly owned by the two brothers.

Voight family

  • Family

Emil F. Voight was a mining engineer at Rossland and various other points in the Interior of British Columbia.

Yip family

  • Family

The Yip family in Vancouver began with Yip Sang's arrival in B.C. in 1881. Yip Sang, whose real name was Yip Chun Tien (along with two other Chinese names, Yip Loy Yiu and Yip Lin Sang), was born in China in 1845. In 1864, he left his home village in Guangdong province to travel to San Francisco, where he worked as a dishwasher, cook, cigar maker, and labourer in the goldfields. Eventually he left for B.C., and in 1881, after first looking for gold in the north, settled in Vancouver and found work as a pedlar, selling sacks of coal door to door. In 1882, he was employed by the Canadian Pacific Railroad Supply Company, where he worked as a bookkeeper, timekeeper, paymaster and then as the Chinese superintendent. In 1885, Yip Sang left the company and returned to China. In 1888, he returned to Vancouver and established the import and export firm of Wing Sang Company (the Wing Sang Building, at 51-69 East Pender Street, was built in 1889 and 1902). During his lifetime, Yip Sang had four wives and a total of twenty-three children. He became a naturalized British subject in 1891. Yip Sang was one of the driving forces in the establishment of the Chinese Benevolent Association, the Chinese School and the Chinese Hospital in Vancouver. He was a lifetime governor of Vancouver General Hospital, and was also a benefactor of the Public Hospital in Guangdong province in China. He died in 1927. Wing Sang Company was one of the wealthiest firms in the Chinatown area of Vancouver. It engaged in contracting Chinese workers for the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, in the import and export of general merchandise from China and Japan, in money remittance from Vancouver to Hong Kong, and in the dry-salt herring business with China. It also functioned as a passenger agency with the Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. The Wing Sang Company was renamed Yip Sang Ltd. in 1950.

Yamamoto family

  • Family

Wakichi Yamamoto and his family lived in Vancouver, where they owned and operated the Yamashima Cafe at 333 Powell St. from ca. 1917 to ca. 1929. The Yamamoto family also owned property at 763 East Pender St. as well as unimproved land elsewhere in Vancouver and in the Howe Sound area.

Woodward family

  • Family

The Woodward family were early settlers in Vancouver, and owners of the Woodward's Department Stores Limited company.
Charles Woodward (1863-1937) was born in Beverly Township, Ontario, and after several business ventures in Ontario, moved his family to Vancouver in 1892. He opened his first store at what is now the corner of Main and Georgia Streets. In 1902, he incorporated Woodward's Department Stores Limited, a company formed with several other small businesses. At this time, a new store was built at Hastings and Abbott Streets. Over the next twenty years, various departments were opened within this store. In 1926, a second store was opened in Edmonton, and by the late 1940s, the company began to expand its operations throughout B.C. and Alberta.
Upon Charles Woodward's death in 1937, his son, William Culham Woodward, was appointed as president of the company. W.C. Woodward also served as Lieutenant-Governor of B.C. from 1941 to 1946.

Cates family

  • Family

The Cates family, being the descendents of Captain Charles Henry (1859-1939), have been prominent in Vancouver shipping and ship building since 1886 and founded Charles H. Cates and Sons Limited, a towage and lightering firm.

Chippendale family

  • Family

Thomas Chippendale V (1886-1959), direct descendant of the famed eighteenth century cabinet maker, Thomas Chippendale I, was a noted teacher, craftsman, musician and priest. Born in England, he came to Vancouver in 1912. He became one of the founders of Vancouver Technical High School, and taught at Magee High School for many years. After his retirement in 1951, he became an ordained Liberal Catholic priest. Barbara Pollard Chippendale was born in England, married Thomas Chippendale in 1912, and came with him to Vancouver. She was an active social worker, and founded the Vancouver Civilian Mothers' Pension Association in 1921. She died in 1972. A daughter, Sheyla, was a musician who pursued a singing career in Vancouver and New York.

Homer family

  • Family

Joseph Attwood Reynolds Homer (1827-1886) was born in Barrington, Nova Scotia. He came to B.C. in 1858 via San Francisco. He became one of the first sawmill owners in New Westminster and had an active interest in the British Columbia Coal Mining Company. In 1860 he was elected to the first city council of New Westminster, and was a signatory of the petition sent to the colonial office from the members of the Hope convention of 1861 asking for a separate government for the mainland. In 1864 he was the first member to be elected by the City of New Westminster to the Legislative Council of the Crown Colony of B.C. Appointed High Sheriff of B.C. in 1866, he read the royal proclamation uniting the British crown colonies of Vancouver Island and B.C. In 1882 he was elected Conservative MP for New Westminster.

Beach family

  • Family

Biographical information unavailable.

Caple family

  • Family

Norman Caple came to Vancouver from Bristol, England, in 1888. He established a photography studio with his partner, Richard Trueman, and their studio produced many images of early Vancouver. In 1893, they dissolved their partnership and Norman Caple opened a stationery store on Hastings Street. Mr. Caple and his wife, Florence, had four sons: Leonard, who was killed overseas during World War One; Montague, a lawyer; Harold, a doctor; and Kenneth, who was the director of the C.B.C.'s operations in B.C.

Colonel Victor Spencer family

  • Family

Joseph Victor Norman Spencer, known as Colonel Victor Spencer, was born in 1882 in Victoria, B.C., the tenth child of David Evans Spencer, founder of the David Spencer Ltd. chain of department stores. After serving in the military during the Boer War, Victor Spencer began ranching as part of a government homesteading project. In 1913, he married Gertrude Isabell Winch, daughter of Vancouver businessman R.V. Winch. Victor and Gertrude Spencer had seven children: Isabell Louise, usually known as Louise (1913-2000), Trudean Lorraine (1915-1987), Barbara Ellen (b. 1920), Diana Margaret (b. 1922), Victor Vance (b. 1924), John Fife (b. 1927), and Elizabeth Ann, known as Ann (1933-1990). Victor Spencer worked in management and as an executive for David Spencer Ltd. until World War I, when he joined the Canadian Army. He retired at the end of the war as a lieutenant-colonel, and it was from this rank that he earned the title Colonel, by which he was known for the rest of his life. Upon his return to B.C., Spencer continued his ranching enterprise, eventually owning five ranches in British Columbia: the Douglas Ranch Lake in Nicola Valley, the Pavillion Ranch on Pavillion Mountain, the Bryson Ranch in Pavillion Valley, the Circle S Ranch at Dog Creek, and Earlscourt, a ranch at Lytton, which also served as a part-time home for the family. In addition to ranching, Col. Spencer served as director of the Pioneer Gold Mine and Pacific Nickel Mines, and worked with businesses including Vancouver Iron and Engineering Works and Westcoast Shipbuilders Ltd. Col. Victor Spencer owned a home at 1750 Trimble Street in Vancouver, known as Aberthau. The Spencer family lived there from 1919-1939, when the home was purchased by the Royal Canadian Air Force for use as an officers mess for the RCAF station at Jericho Beach. Col Victor Spencer was a follower of various sports, including rugby, rowing, and horse racing. He was an avid supporter of the Vancouver Rowing Club, for which he purchased and donated the shells that the University of British Columbia team used in the 1956 Summer Olympics. When Col. Victor Spencer died in Pasadena, CA in 1960 he was survived by his wife, his children, and 14 grandchildren. Following his death, the ranches were sold. Gertrude Spencer died in 1976 in West Vancouver.

Results 1 to 50 of 71