Elizabeth Abbott was the daughter of R.H. Alexander, an early Vancouver pioneer. She was married to J. L. G. Abbott, a Vancouver lawyer.
Elizabeth Abbott was the daughter of R.H. Alexander, an early Vancouver pioneer. She was married to J. L. G. Abbott, a Vancouver lawyer.
Harry Abbott was born June 14, 1829, at Abbottsford, Quebec, son of the Reverend Joseph Abbott. He was the general superintendent of the Canadian Pacific Railway in British Columbia.
Jackson Thomas Abray was one of the first police officers in Vancouver. At one point he owned the Cosmopolitan Hotel. Later, he owned the Burrard Hotel which he sold in 1908. He later worked for the CPR.
Herbert Addington was a commercial photographer working in Vancouver, B.C. In 1949, his studio was located at 5559 West Boulevard, Vancouver.
Edward (Ted) Lloyd Affleck was born on April 5, 1924 in Nelson, BC and died in Vancouver in 2003. He was married to Jean Galbraith in 1963, remaining married until her death in 1989. They had two children, Carolyn and David. He grew up in Nelson, moved to Vancouver to attend the University of British Columbia, where he graduated with honours in Chemistry. He established the Alexander Nicholls Press. At university he developed an interest in acting and amateur theatre. During the 1990's he worked on a history of the Knox Operatic Group and the Dunbar Musical Theatre.
Richard Henry Alexander (1844-1915) was Manager of Hastings Mill and a public official in the Vancouver area.
He was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, and emigrated to Toronto with his parents. In 1862 he travelled to the Fraser River gold fields. After arriving in New Westminster he was involved in various occupation until he took charge of the Hastings Mill Store in 1870. He soon became accountant for the mill, and then was made the manager of the mill upon the death of Captain Raymur. He also served as a Justice of the Peace, and as a member of the School Board of Granville, Burrard Inlet, and was involved with numerous other public bodies.
In 1892 the Women's Christian Temperance Union opened a home for motherless children in Vancouver. The organization was incorporated as "The Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage and Home for Children" and moved to Alexandra House in Kitsilano. The orphanage was closed in 1938 and the building became Vancouver's first neighbourhood house offering a variety of recreational and social services activities for the Kitsilano area. In 1944, the Alexandra Non-Sectarian Orphanage was re-incorporated as Alexandra Community Activities to include Alexandra House, Gordon House, and Alexandra Fresh Air Camp. With the establishment of the Community Chest and Councils of the Greater Vancouver Area in 1944, these agencies became members. In 1955, the Joint Family Services Project was initiated from Alexandra House and Gordon House. In 1966, Alexandra Community Activities was reorganized as the Alexandra Neighbourhood Services Association, which then became Neighbourhood Services Association of Greater Vancouver in 1969. In the summer of 1971 and 1972 Alexandra House was used as a hostel for travelling youth. Shortly thereafter, Alexandra House was destroyed in a fire.
Frederick Alexcee was a Tsimshian artist who resided in Port Simpson, B.C.
Oscar Bruce Allan was born in 1878 in Guelph, Ontario. He moved to Vancouver in 1897, where he was employed by George. E. Trory, jeweler and watchmaker. O.B. Allan opened his first jewelry store in 1904 at the corner of Granville and Pender Streets. In 1910 or 1911 the store was moved temporarily to 581 Granville (at Dunsmuir); in 1912 it was moved back to Granville and Pender into the newly-built Rogers Building. The business manufactured and sold jewelry, especially diamonds. O.B. Allan died in 1966, leaving the business to his son, also named Oscar Bruce Allan. The latter retired in 1973.
Eileen Allen was a commercial photographer working in Vancouver, B.C. in the middle part of the 20th century.
Susan Louisa Allison (nee Moir) was born in Ceylon. Her family moved back to England and then to Hope, British Columbia. After her marriage to John Fall Allison in 1868, she settled near Princeton, where Allison ranched, trapped, mined, and kept a trading post. Susan Allison worked with her husband for many years, and continued to manage their cattle ranch after his death in 1897. She composed poetry, native Indian tales, short stories, and a series of newspaper articles, "Early History of Princeton". Her recollections were written after she moved to Vancouver in 1928.
Edward Ames was trained in England as a building surveyor and valuator. In Vancouver, he was a member of the firm of Edwards and Ames, an agency dealing with estates, rentals, and insurance.
Anne Angus (nee Anderson) was born in Diyarbaker, Asia Minor. In 1909, her father retired with his family to the Kettle Valley in British Columbia to grow fruit. Anne Anderson eventually moved to Vancouver. In 1923, she graduated from the University of British Columbia. The following year, she married Professor Henry Forbes Angus. She was a board member of the Vancouver Children's Aid Society (1940-1941 and 1945-1952) and was a prominent member of the Community Chest and Council of Greater Vancouver as well as founding member of the Children's Foundation. From 1952 to 1958, she was a member of the local Board of School Trustees, the last two years as Chairman. In 1951, she produced a history of the Children's Aid Society, The Children's Aid Society of Vancouver, 1901-1951.
Frank Appelbe worked for Boeing Aircraft, MacMillan-Bloedel, Mitchell Press and B.C. Hydro on publications and in public relations.
Anthony Staunton (Tony) Archer was a commercial photographer working in Vancouver. His studio was located at 876 Howe Street, Vancouver.
Harry Patten Archibald (1876-1972) was an engineer and partner in the engineering firm of Bayfield and Archibald.
He was born in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, and was educated at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, and at McGill University in Montreal, where he received his B.A.Sc. in electrical engineering in 1898. He was then employed as the director of manual training at Horton Collegiate Academy. Around 1899 he moved to Western Canada as the chief engineer for the Lethbridge Water Works and Electric Light Company. From 1901 to 1903 he worked as an engineer and assistant to the manager at James Cooper Manufacturing Company. Archibald then worked as the erecting engineer for the Inverness Railway and Coal Company from 1903 to 1904.
In 1904 he joined with Henry Arthur Bayfield to establish the Vancouver firm of Bayfield and Archibald, consulting, supervising and designing engineers. However, when Bayfield was appointed Superintendent of Dredging in B.C. for the federal government in 1910, the partnership was dissolved and Archibald registered the name Bayfield and Archibald with himself as the sole partner. Archibald acted as a consulting engineer on the fire hydrant system for Dawson City Water and Power Company in 1906, and as a consulting engineer for Dominion Wood Pipe Co. of New Westminster in 1907 and 1908. In later years he worked on many other projects, such as West Coast Woollen Mills, the B.C. Electric Company's streetcar system in Vancouver, and the Greater Vancouver and Greater Victoria water systems.
During World War I he was a shell examiner on the 18PR H.E. Imperial Munitions Board at Vancouver, in 1915 and 1916. He was also on the British Production Engineer's staff at the Winchester Repeating Arms Company in Connecticut. In this position he was involved in the production of the Enfield Pattern 1914 Rifle under the British War Mission to the United States. In 1918 and 1919 he was involved in an investigation of the Ross Rifle Plant, which resulted in the cancellation of contracts under the Purchasing Department of the British War Mission in the United States.
After the war he returned to private practice with Bayfield and Archibald.
Archibald was also involved in the engineering profession in other roles. Beginning in 1920, and continuing for several years, he was an Instructor in the Mechanical Engineering Department of the University of British Columbia. He was also a member of the Engineering Institute of Canada and the B.C. Chapter of the American Water Works Association.
Archibald was also a member of the Vancouver Rowing Club, the Vancouver Y.M.C.A., the Men's Canadian Club of Vancouver, and the Vancouver Board of Trade. He was also an elder of St. Andrew's Church (later St. Andrew's Wesley United Church). He was married in 1907 to Violet Macdonald.
Archibald's partner, Henry Bayfield (1873-1918) was also a mechanical engineer and draftsman.
He was born in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, and was educated at McGill University, receiving his Bachelor's degree in Applied Science (with a specialization in mechanical engineering) in 1896. From 1896 to 1898, he worked for the Intercolonial Railway in Moncton, New Brunswick, as a machinist and junior mechanical draftsman, and was also involved in testing locomotives on the road. He then began work for the Great Northern Railway shops at St. Paul, Minnesota, where he was draftsman in charge of the office. He was later made superintendent of the company's shops at West Superior, Wisconsin. He worked briefly with the Dardanelles Mining Company in Sandon, B.C., in the overhauling and operation of their plant. From 1899 to 1900, he was connected with the Albion Iron Works and the Victoria Machinery Depot in Victoria, B.C., and was later with the James Cooper Manufacturing Company in Montreal. In 1901, he became the mechanical superintendent in charge of dredging fleet, shops, and shipyard from the Harbour Commissioners of Montreal. From 1904 to 1909, he worked with H.P. Archibald in the firm Bayfield and Archibald. Around 1910, he was made the Superintendent of dredging in B.C. for the federal government, and his partnership with Archibald was dissolved. In 1912, he was made Chief Engineer in charge of all estimating and designing for the Vancouver Machinery Depot Company. He remained in this position until 1913, when he was hired by the Dominion government to design a self-propelling hyrdraulic bridge. In 1914, he returned briefly to private practice, and in 1916 he accepted a position with the British Ministry of Munitions of War to oversee the production of the Enfield rifle at the Winchester Repeating Arms Company in New Haven, Conn. In 1917, he was appointed the supervising engineer at the Ogden Point assembly plant of the Imperial Munitions Board in Victoria. He was still holding this position at the time of his death on February 12, 1918
Artibise studied political science and urban history and worked as a historian at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. he was one of the founders of the International Centre for Sustainable Cities in Vancouver.
Worked as a photographer for the Vancouver Sun.
Reginald Atherton was born in England but spent most of his life in the Kootenays where his father, John Joseph Atherton was a newspaper publisher. A professional accountant, Reginald Atherton was first elected to City Council in 1957 and was subsequently re-elected for 1960, 1961, 1966, 1967 and 1968. In 1970, he was honoured as a Freeman of the City of Vancouver.
Photographer Charles S Bailey was born in Creemore, Ont. and worked in Vancouver starting in 1887.
William Banfield was born in Vancouver, the son of John J. Banfield. John J. Banfield arrived in Vancouver in 1891 and operated a real estate and insurance office. He also served on many civic bodies, including the School Board, the Hospital Board, the Exhibition Association and the Board of Trade. William Orson Banfield graduated from the University of British Columbia with a master's degree in 1923. He worked briefly as a chemical engineer before joining his father's business. In 1934, Banfield formed his own firm, Norwich Agencies, Limited. He sold the firm in 1956 and retired in 1960. Banfield was active in civic affairs: he was elected president of the Vancouver branch of the Red Cross in 1946, president of the Vancouver Rotary Club in 1947, president of the Civic Non Partisan Association in 1956, and Chairman of the Board of Vancouver General Hospital in 1957. In 1961, he was elected to Vancouver City Council as an alderman.
Barber worked as a mechanical engineer. He was the brother of Horace Greeley Barber, a civil engineer in Vancouver.
Harry Barratt was born in Gibraltar on February 5, 1898. His father was in the medical corps of the British and Canadian armies, and the family was stationed at various locations, including England, Bermuda, Ottawa, Halifax, and Winnipeg. While in Winnipeg, Harry studied architecture at the University of Manitoba [ca. 1920-1924], distinguishing himself as the top student in his class.
Barratt moved to Vancouver in 1924 and found employment with Sidney E. Junkins Co., with whom he worked on the building of the Pier, BC. Throughout his career, he was associated with several local firms, such as Townley & Matheson and Van Norman, Thompson, Berwick & Pratt. Barratt also operated his own architectural firm at 709 West Georgia Street in Vancouver. He designed various buildings in Vancouver, including Fire Halls no. 2 and 17, the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club at Coal Harbour and Jericho Beach, the CPR Pier, several office buildings, as well as many homes in Vancouver and the British Properties. Barratt also designed a number of buildings across the province of British Columbia, including the Bella Coola Hotel and the Government Building in Powell River.
He died June 10, 1964.
Charles Lynn Bates was born in Mason City, Iowa, and graduated from the Massachussetts Institute of Technology in 1903 as a civil engineer. Between 1904 and 1915, he worked for the Canadian Pacific Railway's Construction and Engineering departments. From 1921 to 1926, he worked for the Northwestern Dredging Company of Vancouver before moving to work for the Pacific Great Eastern Railway Company at Squamish. There, Bates worked as an Assistant Engineer, Maintenance of Way Engineer and Chief Engineer from 1927 to 1942.
Peter Battistoni was a photographer who worked for The Columbian, a community newspaper published in New Westminster, B.C.
Erol H. Baykal opened "The Gallery of Photography" in North Vancouver in 1969. This led to a sponsorship from the National Film Board of Canada (N.F.B.) for running photography workshops and exhibiting N.F.B. photography exhibitions. The gallery caught fire and Baykal moved on to other endeavors. He joined the crew of the Habitat Forum as site photographer in 1975. He later worked with Greenpeace and was assigned to the San Francisco chapter. He also participated in the 1977 Greenpeace seal campaign in Labrador.
After having a family Baykal worked in the framing and gallery retail business and then the corporate world. He moved to Long Beach around 1990 and now lives in Cambodia.
Alexander Begg was born in Scotland and emigrated in 1846. He taught school in West Huntington and Oshawa, and later published pioneer newspapers in Ontario. In 1869 he was made collector of customs and inspector of inland revenue for the North West Territories. He subsequently accepted a position as emigration commissioner in Scotland for the Ontario government; however, in 1881 he returned to the N.W.T. as a special correspondent for the Toronto Mail. In 1887 he became special commissioner for the settlement of crofter fishermen on Vancouver Island. In 1894 Begg published his History of British Columbia, and in 1895 he founded The Mining Record. From 1897 to 1899 he and his sons were involved in promoting railway construction.
Gisela Behm was active in the movement to preserve Diamond Head chalet in Garibaldi Park. Built by Ottar and Emil Brandvold in 1945-1946, the chalet was the centre for winter skiing and summer hiking. In 1958 the provincial government bought the chalet and leased it back to the Brandvold's.
Elida Bell (1870-1945) was the daughter of Edward C. Bell of Mariposa, California and wife of Charles Lister Austin. She is reported to have arrived in Moodyville in 1883 and Granville in 1885.
John Warren Bell (1867-1951) was born in Victoria and came to Moodyville in 1871. He worked as a timber-scaler and miner and resided in various parts of the province prior to retiring to Vancouver.