Fonds AM48 - 6th Regiment Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

6th Regiment Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


Physical description area

Physical description

0.71 m of textual records : originals

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The 6th Regiment Duke of Connaught's Own Rifles (D.C.O.R.) traces its history from the organization of the B.C. Provisional Regiment of Garrison Artillery in 1883; however the Vancouver Battery of the B.C. Brigade of Garrison Artillery, which eventually became the D.C.O.R., was not organized until 1893. The Vancouver Battery became the 2nd Battalion, 5th Regiment Canadian Artillery (also called the 5th B.C. Regiment of Garrison Artillery) in 1896. In 1899 it was converted into the 6th Battalion Rifles, which received the name 6th Regiment D.C.O.R. on 1 May 1900. In 1920, the 6th Regiment D.C.O.R. and the 104th Regiment, Westminster Fusiliers of Canada, were amalgamated to form the 1st B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.), which was split into three parts: The Vancouver Regiment, The Westminster Regiment and the 1st B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.). The 1st B.C. Regiment was renamed the B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.R.) in 1930. After the Second World War it becamed an armoured regiment successively known as the 13th Armoured Regiment (The B.C. Regiment) after 1946, the B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.) (13th Armoured Regiment) after 1949, and the B.C. Regiment (D.C.O.) after 1958.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds includes the correspondence of the regiment and its predecessors, 1891-1906 and 1913-1916. There are also bound minute books for the Mess Committee, 1909-1911, Officers Fund Association, 1900-1905, "C" Company, 1900-1914, and Headquarters Company, 1908-1920; financial records, 1896-1914; curricular materials, 1898-1899; an undated set of military lectures; a transcript of a hearing of insubordination against Sgt. Maj. John Turner, 1898; a Record of Officers' Services, 1893-1920 (up-dated to 1930 by Major J.S. Matthews); Regimental Orders, 1903-1908 and 1915-1917; Standing Mess Rules, 1912; and a roll of Regimental Trophy Winners, 1904-1909.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres