Bookmark and Share

Fonds AM104 - James McIntosh fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

James McIntosh fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AM104

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1876-1889 (Creation)
    Creator
    McIntosh, James

Physical description area

Physical description

1 volume : originals

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(?-1901)

Biographical history

James McIntosh worked as a carpenter in building the S.S. Marten in 1866. He then opened his own shop and took several contracts, including the construction of the Wagon Road from Savona in 1867. In 1871 he acquired 100 acres immediately east of the H.B. Company site. This property was surveyed in 1874, and the plans of this first townsite of Kamloops were recorded with the government in March 1879. In 1870, in partnership with J.A. Mara, John Wilson, and John Usher, he built the Shuswap Mill and become its manager, and in 1887 he built a waterworks to supply the west end of Kamloops. He sold this enterprise to the city in 1894; the Shuswap Mill was destroyed by fire in 1901. In 1891, he founded the Electric Light Co., which was taken over by the city in 1896. McIntosh was chair of the Board of Directors of Kamloops Hospital that opened in 1885. After Kamloops incorporation, he served as magistrate from 1893 to 1895. McIntosh died in 1901.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of a letterbook of business correspondence, 1876-1889, for the most part connected with the business of the Shuswap Milling Company.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

Container name

  • Box: 511-C-05 fld 05